• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 non-disco info?

Dann

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone know if D30 axle tubes are dry? In other words, only the diff housing is lubed, and the oil seals are inboard in the axle tubes at the diff housing, with only dust seals at the outboard (knuckle) ends. Any info on this would help me focus on what I need to be looking for when I get into my front axle. TIA, Dann

Looking at 4wd.com mag has an exploded veiw of a '97 on TJ front 30, which is NON disco balled. It has outter axleshaft seals and dust covers that go in by the knuckles. Doesn't show anything near the carrier. Hope that helps

I have an 88 XJ non disco d30 and the axle tubes are dry. There are seals inside the diff. There are just dust covers at the knuckle end. You can get seals for the outside though.

HTH
RaiderXJ

Well, my right (passenger side) seal is leaking apparently. Nothing major, in fact I just noticed it this past weekend. The knuckle looked a little oily, but no spun out oil pattern. I decide it is time to check the diff fluid level, and lo and behold, it was pretty low. I had to stick my finger in past my middle knuckle to reach the fluid level. No telling how long it has been this low, but it would seem by the evidence suspended in my diff lubricant, it was long enough for my big metal parts to proceed to make themselves into smaller metal parts. The fluid looks like a metal flake paint, and the magnetic fill plug had about a 1/4 inch of metal goo stuck to it. For what it is worth, there were no big chunks, and the diff doesn't make whining or grinding noises when engaged. I really haven't found a real good schematic, or least one that doesn't require a microscope. I've never messed around in a D30 before, so I don't really know their idiosyncrisies. Thanks all for the info, and if anyone can give me some advice or forewarning, it would be appreciated. Thanks again, Dann

Just so I know. Wouldn't it make sence to lube the bearing at the end of the axle tube?

The axle is supported by the unit bearing at the hub, and the carrier, which is supported by it's own bearing, at the diff housing. That is why the tube can be dry. I'm just trying to make sure that the tube is in fact a dry tube, and find out what needs to be done to replace the inboard passenger side seal (if the tube is indeed dry). I'm not looking forward to pulling the carrier and what not just to replace a damn seal, nor trying to remove and seat a new seal through 4 foot of axle tube if the carrier stays put. It would seem that I may as well run it and constantly check the fluid until I'm ready to do my planned ring & pinion install. I'm gonna need a new carrier anyhow, so I might as well start collecting pieces and parts for a complete rebuild and schedule it for the future, while keeping an eye on my current situation. Dann

Back