• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 waggy d44's under a 98 xj.

13bullets

NAXJA Forum User
How technical would this axle swap be? Are the differentials on the waggy axles going to line up with the xj drivetrain pretty easily? Aside from the cost of the axles, about what would it cost to do this?

isn't too bad really. the rears pretty close to centered, and the front is driverside drop, so you shouldn't have any drive shaft/tcase issues really. its really all in how you set them up as to how much itll cost. rear is pretty cheap. leaf perches/shock mounts gears/locker, and install. probably will end up being around 800 including the price of the axle

fronts can be a little trickier because theres so many ways of doing them. i went with a TNT truss/mount system which was 400 bucks, but well worth it IMO. all i had to do was sit it on top of the axle and weld it on. no measuring, or fabbing parts. then theres the gears, locker, rebuilding the seals, etc etc. ive got around 1200 in my front, and thats on stock shafts. by the time i put alloys, and longfields in it itll probably be close to 2k

Right now I've got different gears in my front and rear axles, rendering my 4wd useless. I've got a d30 front and chrysler 8.25 rear. I think the rear has 4.11 and the front has the stock 3.55s. Right now I'm just looking at upgrading my axles and getting my 4wd in working order. Someone is selling these d44 about an hour from me for 350, so I was thinking about picking them up.

What all is involved with the steering on the front? How much wider are the waggys? I've read that even though the front waggy 44s are driver side drop, the differential sometimes ends up under the "frame" rail of the xj. What do you do to fix that?

Last edited:
Back