• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering column swap

lsc910

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone this is my fist post here. I posted this question on cherokee forum but I'm wondering if anyone on here has any more insite for me. i own an 88 cherokee with a non tilt steering column and a friend has a 90 with tilt. I'm wondering if there is anything special that has to be done to make it work. I'd like to know if the wiring is the same and anything else. Thank you in advance.

The colums will swap in easily as far as bolting it in. But check the wiring between the two, although they should be the same. This is easily checked with both columns removed and laying side by side. You can have a column out in about 1/2hr.

Now there are a few variances. A column from an automatic will have a cable running to the shifter.. manual shift wont have it.

Also, theres a wire for cruise control coming from the turn signal stalk if the vehicle had cruise.

Those are the only differences i'v noticed in pre 95 columns (without airbag).

Thanks for the info because I'm going to take the tilt column out tomorrow and it will be a few days before it goes in my jeep. Hopefully my buddy didn't mess anything up when he ripped the dash apart. along with the tilt column he said I can take the cruise control out of donor jeep. Hopefully everthing works.

Back