• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anyone interested in an affordable rear bumper/carrier?

1bad93z

NAXJA Forum User
A friend of mine and I were thinking of making some custom bumpers for XJ's with an attached swing-out tire carrier at an affordable price. Ive seen bumpers go from $500-$900 and carriers from $250-$400. Would anyone be interested in both for lets say around $600? You would save a lot of money that way. We are in the middle of fabbing up some designs and I will have pictures up as soon as possible. Feel free to post some suggestions (such as mounting points, height, etc). Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I would plan on putting it in another section soon. Then minute you start taking orders here it will get shut down. Become a site supporter or you will need to sell them in your local chapter.

A friend of mine and I were thinking of making some custom bumpers for XJ's with an attached swing-out tire carrier at an affordable price. Ive seen bumpers go from $500-$900 and carriers from $250-$400. Would anyone be interested in both for lets say around $600? You would save a lot of money that way. We are in the middle of fabbing up some designs and I will have pictures up as soon as possible. Feel free to post some suggestions (such as mounting points, height, etc). Any suggestions and feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Yup, I'd be totally down with buying a $400 part from someone who has less than a dozen posts and hasn't put there name in red or blue yet....
:dunce:

Stick around, pay for a membership or sponsership, and show what your fab skills are made of. Then maybe I'd consider buying a bumper/carrier combo from you. Until then :conceited.

lol I was throwing out the idea, I wasn't taking orders. I am curious if people are in the market for such a thing. That was my intention of this post. Sheesh, rough crowd :wierd:

I think by the time you get a set made you will relize that selling them for 600 you wont be making any money, at least not enough to make it worth while, not saying dont try it but making strong nice bumpers is alot of time and not very cheap.

edit, i thought you ment front and rear, still hard to do just a rear for 600.

I have a place where I have a great connection where I can get all the material needed. Is the price too low for you? :p We will be testing it out on my jeep and then we'll go from there. If things go well over time, we will be making other things too such as front bumpers, fender flares, etc. We have all the equipment and experience we just need to buckle down and start sketching/fabbing. I will keep this thread updated

If this gets moved to the right section you will not be able to access it. In this you can only access the right section as a paid member..

WOW, this has been open 7 hours, no lock..I guess this happens only to some of the people not all, i see..Hell there was a big stink about this from someone, need to find that thread..Dude if this was in CA, it would have been locked already...

By the way 600.00 is a great price..Post some pics soon

I guess, i don't care to tell the truth..Just about a month ago some guy was bitching about stuff like this..Maybe he pulled his head out..LOL:wave:
I hope he make a killing..

Like I said, I was throwing a ballpark estimate. I am waiting on concerns/ideas/recommendations from the people (you guys) to try and make this as practical and convenient as possible. Do you guys preffer a swing-out design, a swing down design, etc etc. Give me some ideas. We are trying to make this to everyone's preference, Not mine and my friend's.

Good luck. For the record I don't think this thread should be closed. Just my opinion.

Either way, for anyone to be interested, you'll have to supply some info on your fab skills. You will get a much better response that way.

http://www.detoursusa.com/index.php just released a very cost effective and beefy rear tire carrier (I'm thinking of getting one once m piggy bank refills :) ) for $385 so perhaps you should consider this your benchmark for price/performance.

I know it doesn't include the bumper (just a subframe), but in my case it's a positive because I want to save the weight that "normal" off-road bumpers bring. I also favor the slightly higher safety of the stock bumpers (they crush/fail in an accident instead of transmitting all the force directly into the unibody). Yes yes, I know this is pulling the thread in a slightly different direction.

Sooo.... if you could hit $400 for a bumper/carrier combo that would be awesome.

Good luck. For the record I don't think this thread should be closed. Just my opinion.

Either way, for anyone to be interested, you'll have to supply some info on your fab skills. You will get a much better response that way.

I mean, I don't work for a welding company or anything but I've made my own subframe connectors, tubular transmission xmembers and various other things for my camaro.. I'll just post up some pictures of the finished prototype when its done.

I mean, I don't work for a welding company or anything but I've made my own subframe connectors, tubular transmission xmembers and various other things for my camaro.. I'll just post up some pictures of the finished prototype when its done.

Good enough. I'm not giving you a hard time. It's just the nature of the business. You have to give your self some recognition if you want to attract intrest. Any joe schmo can ask what you asked. We don't know if they're skilled or not.

Back