• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help me make a decision

Andy Brian

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a 2001 XJ. Thought it had the dreaded Dana 35. Found an 8.8 with disk brakes at the salvage yard and bought it. Had the brakes turned (they were really rusty).
Looked again after learning more and found out I currently have the 8.25 (Dang, they look alot alike).
Should I still swap in the 8.8 or just sell it? I know I would gain disk brakes. I know it would be stronger and more parts are available. I do have a welder and am quite experienced. If I use the 8.8, should I by the kit from M.O.R.E. or is there a good way to make the conversion for less?
I plan on running 32's or 33's with a true track.
Thanks in advance for any good advise.

Andy

To be honest, i would stick with the C8.25. With the 8.8" you are most likely going to have to regear to match the fronts. In my swap i used the TnT UBE kit that comes with perches and high clearance shock mounts.

If you plan on running 33s, your going to want to regear to 4.56s anyways. In that case, the 8.8 may be a better option.

Here is my spreadsheet for my swap. I am extremely happy with the swap and feel extremely confident in my rear end.

ford88costs.jpg

You will not need things like the new disc brakes, grease gun, grinder.

So the UBEs (TREKS), flange adapter (JeepinOutfitters), flex line kit (KORE customs-vendor on JF) - basically the rubber lines to run from the calipers to the hardline/mount, comes with custom mount tabs, <--should be just about everything you need.

Possibly a diff cover too, the stock one is pretty flimsy

you say you 'have a welder, and are quite experienced'
so, the question is, do you feel like building an axle?
it is stronger, so its not for nothing, and you can have fun doing it...
then comes budget considerations...

neither of these can be answered by any of us,

you tell us!

WHEN it comes to the MORE. kit... im not impressed, not when they dont include the ebrake cables...

i went the TNT route on the last d44 i built, i liked how the truss tied into the UBE's....

dont mind the color...

Hey Thanks guys for the quick response! This forum is great! I am new to it.
I was thinking 4.11s with the 33's.
It is good to see that there are a bunch of options out there other than M.O.R.E.

Andy

Live in west Texas (wide open spaces) with lots of on road miles to the mountains of N.M. I am thinking about good gas mileage and enhanced but not spectacular offroad abilities.
Still think I should go with 4.56s?

4.56s will feel like stock, i have 4.88s on 35s, and i live in indiana...relatively flat...i can get about 18 on the highway going 65.

gearing isnt necessarily for offroad abilities, you notice it more riding on the roads.

do it once and do it low....save some dough

(wow that rhymed...lol)

Hey bmyohn,

I was looking at old photos and saw your ride with 3.5" RE and 31s.
Is this the rig that is now carrying 35s?
After seeing the photo, I may be content with that 3.5 / 31 setup.

Personally if I had to do it again I'l go with an 8.8. I built an 8.25 and am very happy with it, but IMO I think the 8.8 is way better axle.

bmyohn,

Did the 3.5" / 31s have any problem with tire rub at full flex? Bump stops?
I was thinking maybe some trimming on front only with relocation of factory flares might be what I want.

Back