• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hp dana 44 brackets

Gascan340

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1976 1/2ton ford hp Dana 44 and I have been looking into the some axle brackets kit that are on the market right now such as Currie, RE, and T&T. I have looked around on this site as well as others and would like some pros cons of the kits. I would really like to know what you would have done differently after your install and pointers that saved time and money thanks

I have the TNT truss, so does RCman. We both would stay away from it if we did it over again.

The fit wasn't good. My truss was tweaked when I got it, and I know another person who had the same experience. I think Bill's (RCman) was tweaked as well. The spring perches were also lopsided, and they needed some grinding to fit.

Its just too much money for a product that doesn't fit good.

The fit wasn't good. My truss was tweaked when I got it, and I know another person who had the same experience. I think Bill's (RCman) was tweaked as well.

I had to grind a little bit around the the truss where the center section is, but that 5 minutes of work was way less than fabbing a truss and brackets from scratch. You have to realize that not every diff and center section is exactly the same and it may take a little fitting. All and all I am very happy with what I got from them.

DSC03841.jpg

DSC03842.jpg

Oh, I'm not talking about grinding around the diff, I had forgotten about that actually. I'm talking about the "tabs" that actually sit on the axle tubes, and get welded to the tubes. When I had the truss so it was resting on the passenger tube, the tabs that went over the diff and should have attached to the driver side tube didn't actually touch it. One of the tabes sat towards the top of the tube, while the other was at least a half inch away from the tube.

The grinding I had to do was to the spring perches, cause when I placed them on the axle, only the ends of the radius cut out touched the axle. It seemed like the radius they had cut was too small.

I was a little dissapoind in the exact fit, but then again it is a Jeep and not a watch, and it works for what I was doing. I would have spent a week building cardboard templates and cutting metal out if I had done it my way. At some point I need a product like this that gets me moving rather than spending too much time and effort on one part. Usually I am a perfectionist.

lot of my buddys run the RE bracket kit and it works PERFECT for them.
pics
best pic of the xj
DSCN1253.jpg

tj
un painted
DSCN1510.jpg

DSCN1511.jpg

DSCN1512.jpg

painted
DSCN1515.jpg

DSCN1513.jpg

I had no issues with my TnT truss. But then again Sh!t happens. 95 out of 100 of the same product may be perfect and the other 5 got out the door flawed. I know over a dozen guys that have had the TnT truss and installed it with no issues. I used there truss on both my 44 and my 9. Here is what they looked like.
11hrpsh.jpg

j8ii3l.jpg

291mavq.jpg

fmnwxi.jpg

I have the TNT truss, so does RCman. We both would stay away from it if we did it over again.

The fit wasn't good. My truss was tweaked when I got it, and I know another person who had the same experience. I think Bill's (RCman) was tweaked as well. The spring perches were also lopsided, and they needed some grinding to fit.

Mark (Begster) is correct here. Mine is out of wack quite a bit on the passenger side. I needed a strap to pull it into place before I was able to tack it. This wasn't a simple case of grinding, I expected a little of that, this was seriously out of shape. Am I happy with it? Yes and no...

I think the biggest reason I would not recommend it was the cost. While I agree with what squirrel80 said that it is a Jeep and not a watch; when you pay as much as a T&T truss is you expect it to fit right. At least I did. Then again, maybe I'm too picky if any of you have seen my suspension brackets I made. ;)

For the money, I personally would spend the time making my own if I was to start over. (I should have done this anyway as I'm no longer using any of the mounts on the truss, they are being removed.) If money don't mean as much to some of you like it does to me, then order away. :)

Last edited:
One word: C-Clamps

One on each end of the truss (if needed) will pull the truss down to the tubes. Makes it handy to keep the truss were you want it while you start welding it on as well.

We make our trusses to fit generically. You may have to do a little grinding and fit work for you particular application. We're offering you a better solution for mounting a "never s'pose to be in a Jeep" axle assy. I've seen at least 3 different variations of the Ford radius arm style HP44 alone. The differences are subtle, but some NgiNeer had a better idea along the way and moved a rib, added a rib, changed the profile of the cast center section etc. We can't make a truss to each individual housing variation. I've seen (and worked on) most but I'm sure there's one out there some where I haven't run across yet.

The full truss IMO is the only way to install a non standard front axle. The other brackets kits out there will fail at some point - hopefully on the trail - not on the interstate... I'm not saying that as a salesman, but from a guy who's had to lay under numerous Jeeps broken on the trail and figure out how to weld the broken brackets back onto the axle (usually without a real welder) to get the guy/gal off the trail in the middle of the night.

Call me if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Bob

Bob, i'm gettin ready to do a similar swap in my xj, using a hp44 w/leaf spring mounts cast in. I've decided to go with the t&t truss and brackets.Only makes sense to start with a kit that is made for my specific axle, should take almost all the guess work out of it, and strenthen it at the same time. If you order the truss with all the brackets, im guessing they come as all seperate pieces right? or does it come as one assembled (welded) piece? thanks for the info
kevin

Mine came all welded together with all the brackets in place. I only needed to weld the lower control arm brackets on seperately.

This might be because mine was for a 44 with the welded wedges, but mine was just a pile of parts.
P1010251.jpg

Would I use the TnT stuff again?
I think so. I didnt have the fitment issues that others have apparently had. It would have taken me a fair amount of time to make all the brackets that come with the TnT kit, and the basically fit right out of the box. A little grinding action was needed, but I expected that.

This is how mine sits right now, waiting for me to get back home to work on it.
045.jpg

what about the ballistic combo brackets?

My truss came as separate pieces as well. But I also had the weld on wedges like you Starboard.

DSC_1737.jpg

DSC_2484.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I do like the truss, but I was just hoping for the money it would fit a little better. It was pretty easy setting it all up, and I do like the beef. But as I said, I just wish it wasn't tweaked and fit a little better when I got it.

I originally got the truss to save myself time setting up brackets, and I wanted to try to get my Jeep done fast. I had also heard great things about the truss, so I figured why not. I would maybe do it again, but I would make sure it fit right first otherwise I would send it back.

I was a little dissapoind in the exact fit, but then again it is a Jeep and not a watch, and it works for what I was doing.
I would agree with you on pretty much anything else, other than an axle. I would want a prefect fit, and not a shoddy "its a Jeep, it doesn't need to be perfect" on a part such as an axle, as my life, and others who are in my car, and sharing the road with me, depend on it. Not only that, it also affects the wear of other components on the Jeep, like bushings, control arms, tires, etc. I woulds pend a little extra time to make srue these have a solid base to start with.

Back