• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

gas gauge doesnt work

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
it always stays on E and the light is on, how do i fix this. i know it works it was full when we got it, ran it to E then filled up and it didnt go up. now im worried that im going to run out of gas in the middle of no where.

Last edited:
On the 91 or the 94?

Ok, and only the fuel gauge is wrong?

Haynes manual has a fairly simplistic diagram for the instruments. Power runs to fuse panel, then red/blue wire to gauges. Just a guess that there is a printed circuit board just like my 90. Power to one side of the gauge then tan wire runs to fuel sender in tank. Diagram indicates there is a ground wire, black, at the tank.

If the other gauges are Ok, then check the black ground at the tank. If that ground is Ok then try wiggling the connectors/wiring harness in back of the instrument cluster.

Good luck.

PS--I have a 90, and when the gauge reads empty the sending unit has low resistance, 1 ohm, and higher resistance, 88 ohm, when full. There is a change on the later models, and I don't know the cut date, and the sending unit resistance is reversed, i.e., low resistance means full and high resistance means empty.

Last edited:
hmm it was too cold and wet to crawl under my jeep, but the gauge was working the tank before this one. there might be a possibility it might have got stuck or something

Back