• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats the best aftermarket headers of a 4.0 92'

aeheschutte

NAXJA Forum User
I have looked at different headers for me 92 and dont know enough about them to make a good solid choice on what will give me the best performance and last the longest. I know of a few common company names but who is the top dog for headers?? and is it better to get a complet exhaust system with the same company as you buy the headers from?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Borla has got to be one of the best headers for the 4.0, and yes their cat-back is nice too, but be prepared to shell out the coin. Clifford makes a nice header(been in the Jeep game for years) and magnaflow a good cat and cat-back.

I really liked what i saw from borla..but i didnt see any headers for my year. They only offered the cat-back system for my year. I will check out Clifford and magnaflow. Thanks

I really liked what i saw from borla..but i didnt see any headers for my year.

I had a Borla header laying around from my old 96 XJ. I put it on my 92 MJ with no problems. So it should work on your 92 .

I've been looking at reviews here for different headers (Brola,Gibson,APN & Clifford) For every review I read it seems there are issues with cracking or clearance. Are there any around that will solve theses problems? I am planning on running a magnaflow cat and a Spintech Muffler. I have a 91 xj sport HO. I have used the search and I only keep coming up with more questions. Thanks.

most header cracking is due to bad engine mount or trans mount. some of the headers also have flex joints in them to reduce cracking.

I've just replaced the motor and tranny mounts with the ones from MORE. The headers I saw with the flex joints seem of poor quality. Is that just the pic? I think it's an APN.

I've just replaced the motor and tranny mounts with the ones from MORE. The headers I saw with the flex joints seem of poor quality. Is that just the pic? I think it's an APN.

no experience with apn, but there are many threads about the apn header. i would search for apn

APN FTW! Installed mine 2 years ago on my 95 dd. I couldn't be happier! Zero issues have risen and I'm running it with a 99+ intake and didn't have to clearance.

I would add a stainless flex joint (like Summit carries) in the tailpipe before the muffler. I don't think the flex joint in the header itself really fixes the problem.

i know on my 89, there is a hanger with rubber insulator right where the muffler connects to the tailpipe and another hanger on the tailpipe next to gas tank. i dont see how the flex joint on the tailpipe could help any more than the 2 already on the tailpipe.

if there was any where i would add a flex pipe would be on the down pipe, possibly in place of the kink, although driveshaft clearence may be an issue.

APN FTW! Installed mine 2 years ago on my 95 dd. I couldn't be happier! Zero issues have risen and I'm running it with a 99+ intake and didn't have to clearance.

Update: 5 years after APN header install, Header is cracked to $h!t. And #6 exhaust valve is burnt. But I see they have a lifetime warranty now, Looks like I'm gonna have to make a call.

Just installed a Pacesetter 70-1191 on my 93' and after finding out the PO had snapped the rear stud and left it in there...I got a great local shop to drill it out for me. (Sorry just had to vent that).
Here's my opinion of the pacesetter header:
Was really impressed with the quality of the welds and construction and was under the impression when I ordered it had a high heat black paint...wrong! Even had a freak'n sticker on the header that states "not high heat paint" WTF! why would any company that wants any kinda good rep waist time and money to paint a header with non high heat paint? Anyways...after suckin' paint fumes for a week while that crap burned off I'm reasonably happy with the header. Good sound and no more exhaust leaks.

Just a couple notes on my install.
1. the pipe extention that is supposed to fit from the collector to the cat is crap because it's bent at the wrong angle.
2. Had to relocated the O2 sensor (welded into the collecter at a different location than the one provided by Pacesetter) vs lengthening the O2 wires. But that was just my preference. Either way it had to be modified so it's not necessarily a bolt on kit. FYI
3. Don't install in the winter unless you want paint fumes sucked into the cab every time you turn on the heater.

All in all it's a good set-up after the fact but would probably go a different way.

Back