• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless mod/removable doors

vortex

NAXJA Forum User
Searched on here for about 45 minutes and found nothing....

Looking for some VERY detailed write-ups on how to make my doors removable.
All the ones i have seen are really chitty....I.E. they don't make sense.

thanks'

-PJ-

This is my 89 set up...I need to notch the bottom of the hinge plate, so it comes off easier
doorpin.jpg

please dont do it, youll regret it

Oh, shush.

PJ, I can't belive you couldn't find any decent writeups, but I guess we can go over it again...

(1) Mark the position of the hinges on the door. Marker, paint, whatever.
(Though if your '89 is like mine, you'll be able to tell by the discoloration in the paint.)

(2) Unplug your speakers and any power accessories behind the kick panel.

(3) Unbolt the hinge from the door. Keep track of the shims.
(You might be able to get the bolts out with a torx wrench, but I had to use vise grips.)

(4) Drive the hinge pin out of the hinge.*
(Drivers side has to up, pass side goes down.)

(5) The door side of the hinge has two fingers. Cut the bottom one off.

(6) Replace each missing pin with a 1/4" bolt. Grind the end to a point to ease alignment.

(7) Throw the torx bolts away, and use hex heads to bolt the hinges back onto the doors, aligning with the paint marks and reusing the proper shims.

(8) Remount the doors by dropping your pointed pins into the body-side hinge, and check aligment.

Presto.

*Note, if you cant drive the pins out in place, you can cut the lower finger off, still on the Jeep. Then knock the two halves off.

Robert

(Damn, take fifteen minutes to type a reply, and you miss the whole thread...)

Last edited:
please dont do it, youll regret it
Care to explain why?

I have done this on my XJ as well as on one of my buddies'. Both have no problems shutting and seal just as well as they did from the factory...

IMO, do it. :D

Back