• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump, Filter, or other?

statmahatma

NAXJA Forum User
I'm having an interesting issue with my 2001 Cherokee Sport and was hoping someone may have some insight. Last week I was driving on the interstate at highway speeds on relatively flat terrain when the gas pedal suddenly stopped working and I began losing speed. I turned on my hazards and pulled to the shoulder. I was able to limp off the interstate onto the next exit ramp at about 10 mph. I put it in park and it continued to idle without any apparent problem. I pushed on the gas several times and the engine revved as it should. I put it back in drive and attempted to drive back on the road, but the idle dropped low and again I couldn't exceed 10 mph ... the engine sounded rough and it was trying to stall. So I turned off the engine and let it sit for a few minutes. I then cranked the engine, put it in drive and drove home without issue. I drove the car around for the next week, mostly local trips less than 15 miles, again without issue. The following weekend I drove the car on a 2-hour trip. I was about 10 miles from my destination when the problem recurred. I turned off the car for a few minutes, restarted it and it was business as usual for a few miles. I lost fuel power five times over the next few miles, each time turning off the car and restarting it with driveability. I parked the car overnight and drove it home the next day with the problem recurring only a couple of times (we made a few preemptive stops so as not to get stranded between exits).

Any ideas what may be the issue?

Last edited:
Any check engine light? If so, pull codes.

Be sure to check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail. This could be a fuel delivery problem.

Back