• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door locking mechanism trouble?

NXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have plain jane manual doors with the two rods inside them. One is for the latch mechanism and the other is for the door lock. Problem is, the clip that attaches the locking rod to the lever/button to lock/unlock the door keep popping off when pressure is applied to the "button".

The rod itself seems a tad bit firm, I tried lubing them with no success. The clips can only be installed a certain way (I think).

Suggestions?

Lube the door lock mechanism with lithium grease after you clean out all the old hardened junk. If the clip still keeps popping off, you can get new from the Help! line at the auto parts store - or - find a replacement from a carburetor clip assortment (metal!)

It's probably not the clip, the mechanism is just to stiff and needs new grease. It's especially noticeable to me in the winter when I move both rods halfway and lock myself out . . . .

Good thing I'm not the only one having this problem. How did you go about to fix it? Disassemble the whole unit (3x outside torx?) and smear grease all over the place?

I did the locks on my '66 Mustang both on and off. With some good engine cleaner and the door panel off, you should be able to do it on-door. Those Torx are a pain, phillips were no better.

Rinse with brake or carb cleaner, and you'll find out quick if the drain holes at the bottom of the door work.

Then use the spray lithium with the little tube to direct it. A good light and limber neck help, too.

Back