• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stearing Wheel Shake at Low Speeds

creepykrawler

NAXJA Forum User
Hey, I have a lifted 99 jeep Cherokee that just recently started to get this really bad shake in the steering wheel, Like the steering wheel jumps about an 2 inches up and down. This only happens at speeds from 15-25 mph during acceleration but when i let off the gas it immediately goes away.
The things i have checked and replaced are: Both wheel bearings, Rebalanced tires, took off front drive shaft and drove it and still has problem, steering is all tight and greased. I don't even know where to look anymore. Someone please give me some advice on where to check. Thank you everyone.

Up and down as in vertical?

I would check the mounting bolts of the steering gear box first.

If the movement is vertical and under torque, I would look elsewhere.

If the steering box mounting and frame are Ok, check the motor under torque--have a friend put it in gear, stand on the brakes and rev it up--don't stand in front of it. See if the motor is jumping in its mounts and hitting the steering somewhere.

I don't think the stabilizer would go bad in a year, and I don't think if it did it would give you vertical movement. However, try disconnecting the stabilizer and see if that makes a difference.

Take a look at you upper and lower control arms and their mounts.

Back