• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One question about rear axels

passenger

NAXJA Forum User
Can I (easily) swap brakes from D44A from ZJ to a D44 from MJ, or are'nt they compatible at all? Looking for a easy "disc-break-conversion".

a zj is coil sprung front and rear as far as i know. so it will not be a very easy swap to a sprung under leafspring truck. what axle do you have in your MJ now?

he's talking about brakes...
no experience w/ grand brakes, but swapping crown vic's or explorer brakes onto that mj d44 is a cake walk... lemme know if you need links

You will need to pull the shafts, take the bearings off the axle shafts, and then put a new thicker retaining plate on, then press new bearings back on.

The disk brake backing plate is thinner than the drum brake backing plate.

ive done 2 via this method, w/ rubicon retainer plate as mentioned...
http://www.jeepin.com/features/cvdiscs/

on my next one, i may be experimenting w/ the teraflex spacer, which should allow you to avoid the biggest pain of the swap... getting the retainer plates ground for fitment, and pressed on... new bearings might not be important for you, but on a junkyard axle its needed....

when i did the ZJ disc brake swap to my 8.25" all i did is get a pair of ZJ backing plates and calipers from a junk yard dermal the hole on the backing plate out to fit the 8.25" and bolt it on with new pads and rotors

he's talking about brakes...
no experience w/ grand brakes, but swapping crown vic's or explorer brakes onto that mj d44 is a cake walk... lemme know if you need links

ahh, my bad. i saw the "question about rear axles" part and assumed whole axle/brake setups. sorry for the misunderstanding

Back