• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spark Plug Wires

rockjockphatts

NAXJA Forum User
Does it matter what length wire is used to connect to a given plug. What I mean is, if the length of the wire that was removed and replaced with a new wire of differing length, does this matter? Does it affect timing of fire? I understand that the electrical current travels at the speed of sound through the wires, so the difference should be non-existant, but I was watching a show and they said something that I made me rethink it.

I doubt it makes a major difference.

It should not - the primary reason for keeping the wires short is to keep the engine bay neat and reduce potential failure (due to insulation breakdown and the like.)

And the comparison speed isn't "Mach" (speed of sound,) but actually c (speed of light.) Typical speed of electrical signals is 90-95%c in a wire, and c is right around 186,282 miles per second.

Might I ask what you saw that made you wonder? You've got me curious...

I like to get the Accell custom kit. First off the one I get has the solid conductor, not the carbon conductor. It measures essentially a dead short whereas the carbon ones measure in the 10's Kohms. In order to cut down radio interference, they spiral wind the inner conductor.

The custom kit means you cut each wire and install the ends. You can end up with a nice fitting set instead of having them flop all over. Make sure and use wire spreaders to keep wires from laying against each other or ground.

Back