• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quick! Help! overhead console & cruise control Q's

Hi Gang!

I'm going to hop on the train early AM tomarrow and head out to Long Island, pick up my truck and head over to a guy with a donor XJ. I'm pulling the cruise control, over head console and washer bottle/pumps from a wrecked auto trany 2000 XJ I found on craigslist.
The parts are going in my AX15 1999 XJ. I did a lot of searching the last week or so. I know that search is my best friend, but I could use some help summarizing my info.

This is what I've come up with so far:

Cruise Control parts:

*Cruise Control servo assembly (servo and attached cable, make sure to take the vacuum hoses as well)

*Clockspring assembly (located behind the steering wheel, the one for Cruise Control systems has an extra wire)

*Left and right Cruise Control switches ('99-'01 are not interchangeable with '97-'98).

*Y-cable that goes between the switches and the clockspring

*CC brake switch - Do I need this on '99-'01?

*Relay - Where is it? In the power center? Which one?

*Vac hoses

*Clutch Switch - Obviously, the auto donor truck will not have this. Will the CC work w/o it? Is the switch normally open or closed? I of course plan on installing one at a latter date.

Am I missing any thing?

Is it worth it to pick up a cheap steering wheel puller?

Over head console stuff:

I searched this too.
From what I gather, it's pretty plug and play.
Am I correct in assuming that I just connect it to the dome light wires?

I don't remember if I found any concrete info about the sensors and associated wiring. Is it already there on my '99 sport?
On the donor truck where do I find the sensors?

I think I'm good on the washer bottle:laugh2:

Many, many thanks!:peace:

Hello all,

Hate to be a pest, but I'm pressed for time so I'm bumping this back up to the top...

Personally I pull the whole sterring column if possible. I did this on my 97. I had bought the under-hood parts eariler and after installing the column I was finished. Wiring, vac line are aready on yours. Guess the brake switch was there already. Not sure about clutch stwich since both mine and the donor(s) were automatics.

As for the overhead console, you'll need the wiring harness for it also. It connects to the consloe, lighted vanity mirrows(get the visors if you don't have them) and to the fuse panel on the passinger side kick panel. The wire for the temp sensor is on your XJ aready but you'll need the sensor from under the front bumper.(a little toward the pass side, you'll see it) You'll also need the mounting bracket from the roof of the doner. Two screws I think. HTH....Al

Thanks Al!

How difficult is the column?

On the 99+ XJ, you will not need the whole column to add CC to yours. Just grab the clockspring and both sterring whell switches. Sounds like you've got everything else. All the CC retro's I've done has been on auto trans XJs, so I'm not sure about the clutch and brake switch for the manual trans. On the auto, you won't need to add the brake switch since it's already in place.

On your OHC, you'll need the wiring harness also.

Thanks Guys!

Are the CC switches illuminated?

Back