• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long range fuel tanks.

Coastie

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone run anything like this?

jeep_cherokee_ta46_long_ranger_fuel_tank.jpg

http://www.thelongranger.com.au/cherokeelongrangefueltank.html

Something like this has been on my wish list for years. I'v never seen that manufacturer though. I'm wondering if the vehicle will lean or handle strange with all that weight to one side.

Theres a few who have an "Aero" 30gal tank. http://www.aerotanks.com/

Go-Jeep has a mod on his site that can add 5gal to your stock tank. I plan this come summer. http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoFuelTank.htm

Last edited:
Somebody has or had a large (30 gallon if I recall) fuel tank for the Cherokee. I think it was Rocky Road but it's not on their website anymore. Anyway if that still exists I'd take that over the above as it was known to be a strong tank (I knew somebody who had one and abused it.) and, of course, was big.

I'd consider getting one for my Chief if I had the money and they still existed. (No, I won't put one in the Red Jeep as that's my rock rig and I'd probably destroy it one day, the little ol' Chief will ultimately see the more expedition stuff.)

Edit: The tank I refer to may be the Aero tank Overland is talking about. Their website doesn't really show it well so I can't say for certain.

G, Gen-Right is also looking into the XJ fuel tank market. I read other threads which mention the 97+ specifically, i have no idea if they currently offer anything for pre 97 now. On their site they mention two, an extra capacity and a high clearance one in development.

I know ScottMac runs the Aero and he seemed happy with it. I know he had his XJ up for sale, i thought of offering him a stocker and cash for his before/if it sold.

Overland I have seen the aero and it is nice, I like the idea of having two tanks.

This model looks good but I wonder how much the tank weighs and how much gas/gallon weighs. I know 1 gallon of water is 8lbs.

Since I plan on making my new XJ a overland Jeep something like this is high on my want list.

Somebody has or had a large (30 gallon if I recall) fuel tank for the Cherokee. I think it was Rocky Road but it's not on their website anymore. Anyway if that still exists I'd take that over the above as it was known to be a strong tank (I knew somebody who had one and abused it.) and, of course, was big.

I'd consider getting one for my Chief if I had the money and they still existed. (No, I won't put one in the Red Jeep as that's my rock rig and I'd probably destroy it one day, the little ol' Chief will ultimately see the more expedition stuff.)

Edit: The tank I refer to may be the Aero tank Overland is talking about. Their website doesn't really show it well so I can't say for certain.

The one RRO used to list is made by North West Metal Products,
http://www.nwmp.com/
It is a 32 gallon tank, uses factory mount locations via new thick steel straps and factory front hanger bolts and all thread bolts to extend and adjust the factory rear mounts downward. It has taken a beating under my XJ at only 3.5" lift - it is a rock magnet, probably holds a couple gallons less now but has held up to the hits. Only issue I've had with mine is the filler hose getting pinch cut on top between the neck for it on the tank and the hole for it in the frame. Some writups from those who have used that one in the past have suggested dropping in some baffle material and/or building up additional armor on the bottom.
It has been real nice having the extra capacity on long remote runs.

I know ScottMac runs the Aero and he seemed happy with it. I know he had his XJ up for sale, i thought of offering him a stocker and cash for his before/if it sold.

Maybe he's the guy I'm thinking of. Or maybe it was somebody local, I dunno, I do know it's one of the old timers that's not around much anymore though.

Kinda funny timing with this thread. Yesterday I removed the 25 gallon auxiliary tank from my truck because it needs flushing and a new sending unit (was left for 10+ years with gas in it, my grandfather thought it was rusted through, turns out the sending unit O-Ring was just bad).

The one RRO used to list is made by North West Metal Products,
http://www.nwmp.com/
It is a 32 gallon tank, uses factory mount locations via new thick steel straps and factory front hanger bolts and all thread bolts to extend and adjust the factory rear mounts downward. It has taken a beating under my XJ at only 3.5" lift - it is a rock magnet, probably holds a couple gallons less now but has held up to the hits. Only issue I've had with mine is the filler hose getting pinch cut on top between the neck for it on the tank and the hole for it in the frame. Some writups from those who have used that one in the past have suggested dropping in some baffle material and/or building up additional armor on the bottom.
It has been real nice having the extra capacity on long remote runs.

I think for $580 plus shipping, it'd be a lot more economical to do Go-Jeep's mod and carry a few military grade fuel cans. It is a nice option for someone who can afford to drop that much cash though.....

Overland I have seen the aero and it is nice, I like the idea of having two tanks.

This model looks good but I wonder how much the tank weighs and how much gas/gallon weighs. I know 1 gallon of water is 8lbs.

Since I plan on making my new XJ a overland Jeep something like this is high on my want list.

Coastie.. i totally missed the fact that the one you posted was an auxillery tank. I thought it was a replacement. So 51 litre is what...12 gallon? And gasoline being ~ 6lb per gallon thats 72lbs. Much lighter than i first thought...

Looking at the pic i can now see the feed and return lines, but not the tank itself.

I think for $580 plus shipping, it'd be a lot more economical to do Go-Jeep's mod and carry a few military grade fuel cans. It is a nice option for someone who can afford to drop that much cash though.....

Agreed. My budget is better suited for the mod and 5gal Gerry's.

I'm having a new rear carrier built that'll include 10-15 gallon and with Go-Jeeps mod that'd double my range.

That'sa alot of money for 12 gals. My Aero is 30 gals and will take 32-33 if your really empty. Almost half the coast and you dont have to keep switching tanks when empty unless it's auto switching.

I really liked the idea of those slimline cannisters till i read the reviews..

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1

I'll be using Gerry's on a rear swingaway with a super siphon to transfer to the fuel tank.

http://www.baproducts.com/siphon.htm

The trick is trying to find a few Sceptor MFC's at a reasonable price. I can kick myself for not getting them before the CARB compliancy date. I may need someone in Canada to ship me a few.

+1 on the super siphon they work great!

I'm still working on the Canadain connection...

Back