• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater valve cause possible smell?

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
So,
Was thinking of ordering a new heater core for my '90 and the guy at the store mentioned that it could be a heater valve that could be making the coolant smell in the cab!

I thought that was strange, but I did buy a cheap one when I replaced the hoses 35K miles ago. Is it possible that the coolant smell could get to the passenger side due to a cheap valve?

I have not seen any drips inside but when I turn the temp control to hot, I get a wisp smell of coolant! Seems easier to change the valve than the heater core!!!!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated,
Bob

On the firewall, check your hose connections. I have had them weep and cause puddling inside under the carpet. I know you said "smell", but when I smell coolant, I go looking for it.

Nope, the heater valve just allows (or blocks) coolant flow to the core. If you smell coolant it's likely the core itself that's the problem.

P.S. ALL the heater valves are cheap. If the diaphragm doesn't fail, the cheap plasctic does. That would leak inside the engine bay though, not on your floor.

Back