• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering upgrade needed....

thebluebuffalo

NAXJA Forum User
i've got a rc 4.5 with 33's and i am upgrading the steering this tax season. what would be the best set up for me. the xj is not my daily driver, just a "play toy" . i'm sick and tired of the death wobble i get when i hit the slightest bump at highway speed...

I would probably go with the JCRoffroad 1-ton steering either regular or OTK.

do you buy a kit? or do you have to peice everything together?

For a "bolt-on" go with a ZJ set-up or Currie's.

ZJ set up?

Currie is the way to go, easiest and most like stock so no weird steering issues or relocating brackets and reaming knuckles, if you have DW now JCR will only make it worse. Oh and heims are illegal in most states.

For a "bolt-on" go with a ZJ set-up or Currie's.

Does anyone know if the Currie is designed exactly like the stock steering, or did they design in a little extra room to clear the lower passenger side sway bar mount and the steering stabilizer bracket? I've pretty much decided I'm going with the Currie for my ride, but want to make sure it's going to solve my clearance problems at the same time.

RK x factor, no dead spots, no reaming(drilling, but bits are cheaper at least) and it is beef. downfall is trying to get stabilizers on it.

i'm sick and tired of the death wobble i get when i hit the slightest bump at highway speed...

new steering will only fix your DW if its a result of worn TRE's or bad alignment, there is literally a long list of shit that can cause DW before and after upgrading steering, which have nothing to do w/ steering, chase down that DW FIRST. it could be as simple as worn tires, or a loose tracbar bracket.... THEN, if you still cant get rid of the dw, replace your steering with either jcr, or the ballistic heim setup.

the currie stuff is OEM sized ball joints, and pretty much junk, theres a reason why someone is allmost allways selling a currie steering setup... its not a real upgrade.

Try the Rugged Ridge setup

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=4554

These Tie Rod Assemblies provide virtually 1-ton strength with factory tapered ends, so no modification is required. The tube is 1.25" OD SAE steel with .25" wall thickness. This is the perfect solution for preventing bent tie rod tubes from off roading with larger tires. Complete kits with dust shields, castle nuts, cotter pins, jamb nuts and zerk fittings.

its $206 the currie one you have to replace the whole drag link if you blow a tie rod cause its cast in there..

Try the Rugged Ridge setup

http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=4554

These Tie Rod Assemblies provide virtually 1-ton strength with factory tapered ends, so no modification is required. The tube is 1.25" OD SAE steel with .25" wall thickness. This is the perfect solution for preventing bent tie rod tubes from off roading with larger tires. Complete kits with dust shields, castle nuts, cotter pins, jamb nuts and zerk fittings.

its $206 the currie one you have to replace the whole drag link if you blow a tie rod cause its cast in there..

strong? yes, tie rod roll that make you look like a drunk weaving down the road? yes, will I buy it again? never again for a daily driver.

new steering will only fix your DW if its a result of worn TRE's or bad alignment, there is literally a long list of shit that can cause DW before and after upgrading steering, which have nothing to do w/ steering, chase down that DW FIRST. it could be as simple as worn tires, or a loose tracbar bracket.... THEN, if you still cant get rid of the dw, replace your steering with either jcr, or the ballistic heim setup.

the currie stuff is OEM sized ball joints, and pretty much junk, theres a reason why someone is allmost allways selling a currie steering setup... its not a real upgrade.
you beat me to it.

i would make fixing the DW issue a priority over upgrading the steering. alignment, adj track bar, control arm length.

Back