• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 4.0 - Tack spinning and not starting

GinisKratos

NAXJA Forum User
Hay all, New issues came up yesterday and i cant seem to nail it down. I dont really even know where to start... When i try and start it, the tack insted of bouncing from 0 to 500 rpms like normal it bounces all over, 0 1500 5000 sometimes it would spin all the way around and back the other way... wtf... once that started its not starting at all.. Any ideas? or a place to start? Thanks all =)

-Ed

PS and yes I can hear the fuel pump running and i can even smell fuel when i flood it.

It is possessed!

Actually your tach get power from the gauge fuse in the fuse block, and it gets its negative input from the negative side of the coil.

Hope that gets you started.

So no one has experienced this issue before? Where its not starting and the only thing new that i can tell is the Tach is bouncing all crazy. :huh:

Going to go wiggle more wires, see if there is anything damaged, and then hit the junk yard.

Ok, checked for spark, was there but the cap looked alittle corroded inside so i replaced it and the rotor, and it is getting fuel to the rail. I dont see anything out of place up to... Any ideas?

It's a 89.. Did you check all your GROUNDS? These are a pain..It seems like it is always groungs.. Start with them..Also check the ones by the oil dipstick..Clean all of them..HTH

ECOMIKE is real good at these renix motors

OK. We could help more if we had more info. Has the vehicle run good for the last 3 or 4 months with no issues? Was any work done the last few weeks? Have you pulled the spark plugs our and looked at them? When were they last replaced? If you don't know, pull them and take a look.

update =) I got it running, it ended up being a low battery not giving me a good blue snapping spark to get it fired up... which was due to the fuel pump issue, its not comming on for a good 2-3 min of cranking it. I think it might be a relay but i dont know where the fuel pump relay is located.

update =) I got it running, it ended up being a low battery not giving me a good blue snapping spark to get it fired up... which was due to the fuel pump issue, its not comming on for a good 2-3 min of cranking it. I think it might be a relay but i dont know where the fuel pump relay is located.

Yup, a low battery is a problem. The ignition module will not even fire if the voltage is getting pulled below 9 volts.

Back