• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WTH is this noise??!!???

dzolcali

NAXJA Forum User
ok so ever since I got my jeep on harder acceleration or anything that requires power I get this like ticking pattering type noise coming out of the engine...if the engine is at idle and I listen up close I can hear it still...but it's def. louder as I accelerate. I thought maybe itw as lifter tick but someone told me they are self adjusting lifters...so now i'm wondering...what the hell this could be it really irritates me to drive around sounding like a tractor on the farm.

Well, I'm not willing to bet the farm on it...LOL

BTW, sorry there was supposed to be a question mark in there, implying it was a possibility.

It's hard to diagnose a noise thru the internet. Your going to have to try to localize the area the noise is coming from.

I definately agree it's a cracked header, though of course I can't be sure without seeing it. Mine does the exact same thing and my header is spider-web-cracked all around just before the do-nut into the lead pipe. I've just been to lazy to take the time to tear apart my whole assembly to replace it. It's a huge pain since the exhaust/intake manifold come apart as a combo and you can't just drop the exhaust manifold from below. So, I've decdided to just deal w/the noise that mine makles for now! Hopefully it'll make it till that 350 swap!

While I agree that exhaust is probably the culprit, have you checked the water pump? I had what sounded like a tick in the front of my engine less than a month ago, turned out that the water pump was shot and was ticking really loud.

A loose spark plug can 'tick' also

replaced all the spark plugs and distributor cap and switch...still need to get the plug wires swapped...
ran seafoam through the whole deal too...it sounds like maybe it's coming from the engine..near the fifth cylinder counting from the front to the back.

Take a long really long screwdriver and put against different areas of the motor as it's running, then put your ear up against the handle, it will transmit sound. BE CAREFUL not to get it into any moving parts for christs sake. First saw that done on one of the subs I was on, captain used that trick to listen to the main shaft bearings leading back to the screw.

RichP said:
Take a long really long screwdriver and put against different areas of the motor as it's running, then put your ear up against the handle, it will transmit sound. BE CAREFUL not to get it into any moving parts for christs sake. First saw that done on one of the subs I was on, captain used that trick to listen to the main shaft bearings leading back to the screw.

Yeah, getting the screwdriver in the fan will give you quite a headache (btdt). Watched a guy get the screwdriver against the spark plug boot and get whacked pretty good too. A length of heater hose works as a stethoscope if your trying to find a noisy pulley.

lawsoncl said:
A length of heater hose works as a stethoscope if your trying to find a noisy pulley.

That's true but it only works if you plug the other ear so that you don't hear all the other noises. Using a length of heater hose is much more practical (and safer) than using a screwdriver cause you can keep your head further away from any moving parts.

Ticking noise under load, can also be Detonation/Pre-Igntion, but its usually louder than a "tick". Sounds more like pop corn popping, higher octane gas or solving the root cause of the detonation/pre-ignition is the cure for that.

It can be valve tick, even with lash/self-adjusting lifters. The lifters get gummed up over time/use and fail to adjust proper to take up the valve lash. Giving you ticking in the valve train. This usually happens at idle or low engine speed, with the noise disappearing at higher speeds, but its possible for it to happen the other way around. Usually higher oil pressures get the lifter to respond and the low oil pressure at idle/low rpm let it bleed down. But you can have a slightly collasped lifter that won't extend at all, even under higher oil pressure, and it has very little lash, so the noise isn't noticeable until higher engine rpm. The easy answer for this is too try some of the additives that is suppossed to clean out varnish gum out of the engine and remove lifter/valve tick. If it doesn't work, either replace or remove/dis-assemble/clean the lifters.

rick, your probably right, I get it at higher engine rpms and on the highway it's a slight quieter noise...at idle it doesn't exist as well.. does anyone have experience with a good qaulity lifter ticker cleaner solution?

possibilities (guessing without hearing it first hand):
- Cracked header as already mentioned
- Loose or Cracked FlexPlate
- Crank bearings
- bad lifters

Dr. Dyno said:
That's true but it only works if you plug the other ear so that you don't hear all the other noises. Using a length of heater hose is much more practical (and safer) than using a screwdriver cause you can keep your head further away from any moving parts.

Don't know about you but I got a screwdriver that is close 26" long and works great for that. One of these days though I might remember to pick up a stetscope just for that.

i think i had the tapping that you described it has been a wile but. when i replaced the fuel injectors it got better. then this year i put lucas oil in MMO and seafoam with the introduction of synthetic blend. and its gone. after replacing the water pump. it purs like a kitten.

IT'S PROBLY PINGING. JUST USE HIGHER OCTANE FUEL AND IT SHOULD GO AWAY. IF IT DOESN'T, THEN START LOOKING FOR OTHER PROBLEMS.

I had a ticking like that it turned out to be the header gasket becuase, See if all the header bolts are tight? What had happened with mine was that it blew out a peice of the gasket. It was also behind the sixth cylinder/ the farthest from the front. I was able to feel it when i stuck my hand behind it. let us know what you find.

Back