• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spring compressor

guillermo

NAXJA Forum User
Will using a spring compressor to install new coils affect the desired height ? My 3" coils along with (2) .75 spacers only give me a 3.5" lift instead of 4.5 ..... Thanks.

No,who's springs did you buy?

speaking of spring compressors, i had an old set laying around and used them on mine, they didnt compress enough so i went to autozone to look for a new set, they have a set you can borrow for 50 bucks plus tax that does an awesome job and they are safe to use. bring back the compressors and they give you every penny back, made the job very easy.

speaking of spring compressors, i had an old set laying around and used them on mine, they didnt compress enough so i went to autozone to look for a new set, they have a set you can borrow for 50 bucks plus tax that does an awesome job and they are safe to use. bring back the compressors and they give you every penny back, made the job very easy.

I bought that same set a few weeks back for $35 from AutoZone. Awesome compressors, really heavy duty and much safer than the awful Harbor Freight ones.

If you disconnect the drive shaft, shocks, sway bar, and drag link(from pass. side) the axle will drop far enough to pull the springs out and put the new ones in by hand. I do suggest 2 jacks for this, makes it easier.

If you disconnect the drive shaft, shocks, sway bar, and drag link(from pass. side) the axle will drop far enough to pull the springs out and put the new ones in by hand. I do suggest 2 jacks for this, makes it easier.

Compressor is WAY easier IMO. I've done it both ways, and on a rig with 20 years of rust, a drive to Autozone is a lot easier.

a spring compressor is easier, should you be swapping out coils and nothing else... however, safety is a concern. (not saying theyre dangerous, just that you must be on top of things)

but if your installing a kit w/ control arms, new shocks, etc... just disconnect things, one at a time, untill you can droop it enough. you can install anything but a 6" coil easily w/ 2 people... ive done it by myself w/ minimal cursing.

neither is perfect, but both have their time and place....

IF you dont have the money I suggest without the spring compressor. The first time it took me awhile to figure it out. The second it was pretty easy and cheap. :) my first budget boost.

I got an internal coil compressor from Autozone. I didn't know precisely what it would be now I can't figure the damn thing out if it's even possible to use it. The Driver's side coil swap went easy, just droop the suspension slide one out and the other in, no need for the compressor. For whatever reason, my passenger side doesn't droop as far. Putting RE 5.5" coils to replace my 4.5" coils and 1.5" spacers. And yes, it is an old post, but I was searching for any info on coil compressors :D

Will using a spring compressor to install new coils affect the desired height ?

Only if they're still installed!
biggrin.gif

Billy

Darky,

An internal compressor won't work. The spring has to slip over the bump stop on the top and there's no room for an internal compressor. You need an external compressor.

On the pass side drop the shock off the diff side and drop the track bar off the axle side and you should be able to droop it enough to get the spring out.

Darky,

An internal compressor won't work. The spring has to slip over the bump stop on the top and there's no room for an internal compressor. You need an external compressor.
Well, yeah, I figured that part out...:D I was just venting frustration at getting the wrong ones and then the one spring not going in. Finally did get it in after stacking more bricks/cinder blocks under the jack to get more height and then stepping on the axle while my cousin pushed the spring in, uncompressed. Now I get to do it all over again to put some isolators in. I just had to get the springs in today, should have isolators soon.

After I screwed around for 3 hrs trying to get my 3.5" springs installed I had to disconnect the front DS.. it was maxed out on compression once i got that disconnected the left would drop enough to get the coil springs installed.

Hmmmm, Scott you used a spring compressor on those 3" coils, must of forgot to unbolt those long shocks lmao!:wierd:

On the pass side drop the shock off the diff side and drop the track bar off the axle side and you should be able to droop it enough to get the spring out.

That's what I did when I swapped in my 6.5" coils. It worked fine. Once I got it back weight on wheels, I was able to push/pull the Jeep enough side to side to slip the track bar bolt back in. The spring compressor was just another thing I didn't want to spend money on, and I'd been told it was unnecessary.

Back