• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 How long will it last.

Jeepcreep

NAXJA Forum User
Hi,
I am just curious as to how many miles an AW4 autobox can run for, mine is a 93 XJ with 120,000 miles, can anyone beat that?

315,000 kms, whatever that works out to on a 93 also

237,000 miles on my 88, not the highest mileage on an AW4, but the tranny is pretty much trouble free. Crisp, positive shifts, no slippage that I've noticed.
The only things I've really done to improve longevity is frequent Dexron changes ( I change the Dexron in the pan every spring), I down shift before a steep hill or when trailer towing and I installed an external oil cooler (OEM). I have to say it seems durable, it has a bunch of high speed runs on it and a fair amount of mudding, it hasn't been babied.

Hi,
I am just curious as to how many miles an AW4 autobox can run for, mine is a 93 XJ with 120,000 miles, can anyone beat that?

yours is on the low side of mileage compared to most.

ive got 245k miles on my 89 with the not so reliable ba-10 peuguot tranny.

my 98 has 173k on it and has been swamped with mud/water too many times to count. Last time I flushed the tranny, it looking like chocolate milk coming out and when the fluid settled in the container, only about the bottom 1/2" was tranny fluid!

However, just put some new fluid in and she has never posed a problem. So, in essence, it's been good to me so far!

Yea, change the fluid every 20k miles. Add a cooler IF heavy towing or hard offing It should out last the rest of the XJ.

im at 160k and it still shifts like the day we bought it
its an 89 4.0

I remember getting stuck in a bad hole I could only move a foot or so back and forth....after a while of trying to push and pull and throwing rocks in the hole I mashed it to the floor and went from Reverse to Drive without letting of the gas in 4wd!! to my amazement it didn't clunk or slip or hesitate one bit!! It felt as if I were rocking it back and forth with a manual tranny. after about 30 seconds she finally wormed herself outta that mess. Very durable- only one true flaw that I know of- The Neutral Safety switch is not protected from the elements very well, and its located in a terribly vulnerable spot. I'd still rather drive my 92 manual though...more power and fun!!

The reason I got my XJ so cheap 8 years ago is because of the trans leak. When I bought it there were 240,000 miles on the clock. The PO thought that it needed a torque converter because it leaked so much fluid. This dumb SOB filled it with 4 qts fluid every day and drove it, let it leak and repeat. Apparently this went on for over a month. I was convinced that the trans would not last much longer. Turns out it was a cooler line that had rubbed through. I repaired it and have had no other problems with the trans. Currently the clock is up to 299,755 miles.

Hi,
Thanks for all the replies, I can sleep easy at night now knowing I've got at least another 200,000 miles left on the tranny. Changing the subject slightly, I've been reading that on the ZF 6 speed autobox as used on Jaguar's and BMW's it is not possible to check or change the fluid as it is sealed for life, life can mean as little as 50,000 to 60,000, I think I will stick with the AW4.

Mine has 190,000. Last year my fan ripped a hole in one of my aux cooler lines when I was 20 miles from home. Didnt notice it till I started slipping. I lost about 5 quarts of fluid. Drove home slipping bad. Trans fluid all over my underbody and rear hatch. Replaced the 5 quarts and its been great. The trans also towed a 20 foot boat for 8 years of its life too.

275,000 on my 91 with the same fluid it came with from the factory.

:shocked: You are brave dude. I would think about at least changing the filter and pan fluid.

Back