• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping at Slickrock

Hokay....... are you tenting it, in a pop-up, a full trailer, RV, ? I'm going to assume tent.

Tent sites are sand, most of them are raised beds to (hopefully) keep your tent dry if/when it rains. The usual applies: ground cloth, pad underneath your sleeping bag, sleeping bag, etc. A rain fly is still advisable, it DOES rain out there occasionally. Extra clothes line is always handy. Don't forget a rubber mallet to set tent stakes.

The trailer and RV sites have power and water, the RV sites also have septic.

Shower facilities are pretty basic, no charge for use.

There are charcoal grills scattered around, and a few picnic tables. In general, the campground has minimal food supplies, plan on bringing it in, or eating in town.

http://www.slickrockcampground.com

Couple of more tips.....

Set that tent up a couple of times, and strike it, packing it all the way back into the bag before you head for Moab. Find out now if something is wrong with it.

BTW, temps out there may dip as low as the upper 40s overnight. Daytime, it'll probably hit the 80s (I expect the UT crowd to jump in here.)

I'm assuming that you've already got a sleeping bag. I've discovered that a self-inflating ground pad is nice for a little more pad and a lot of ground insulation underneath the bag.

A small whisk broom will be nice to get the grit out of the tent, along with the requisite dust pan.

Paging Handlebars to this thread, please....

ChiXJeff

Randy, don't go to town to eat. You can hang with us just bring along a little extra grub and you are more than welcome to use the stove and fridge in our motorhome. PM me we can get together beforhand to go over stuff. Dont buy any thing more untill we talk!

Camping things most often forgotten about by those new to it...

Pillows
Patch kit for air mattress
Broom or hand broom
Twine for tying up and hanging things

A small garden rake is handy for undeveloped camping areas

Have fun!

Lantern or good flashlight and x-tra batteries.
gas lanterns are bad news in a tent. I have a battery lantern that gives off pretty good light.
I also bring an x-tra blue tarp just incase...
a couple xtra blankets.
I always bring a light stocking cap too just incase it gets chilly at night. I have been camping and backpacking in the middle of the summer and thanked the man upstairs that I had the cap for the nights...

Don't sweat it- if you forget anything you can buy it in town. You will be camping right in the middle of a town that makes its living off of people who come to enjoy the outdoors. Moab has camping equipment stores to rival any metropolitan area... most of which you will drive right past at least 2 times every day you are there. ;)

Back