• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brand New Clutch Not Disengaging?? HELP!!!

mattriddle

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 XJ here that just got a brand new clutch put in it. Now when I push the clutch all the way in, it still lunges foward if in gear. Basically, the clutch isn't engaging all the way. It has been bled like crazy, and has plenty of peday pressure. There are no funny noises, and it grabs fine when driving down the road. So i'm stumped! If anyone has had this problem before, please help me!! Thanks

just after i had my clutch in my 89 replaced, i got wicked bad clutch chatter when beginning in 1st or reverse.
Didn't do the flywheel, and i've just had it redone for the 2nd time in 9 months. the motor mounts and transmission (spendy) mount were also shot, helping the clutch to tear the hell out of everything else...
This time, i went with a new flywheel, and higher quality parts. and thanks to my origional parts supplier for refunding that purchase price without too much complaint!

Was the flywheel resurfaced in the past, or this time?

WOW!
If you read this before going and tightening all of the bolts check to be sure the friction disk has the proper side facing the flywheel.

Did you pay someone to do the work?

Sounds like there is loose nut in your town, and he worked on your XJ.

x2.

I fixed it that night.. dropped the trans and realized the dumb a$$ didnt tighten anything!!! It took 11 turns to tighten the pressure plate bolts...

my haynes manual specs the bolts at 23 pounds. what did you end up tightening yours to?

mine is a 94 2.5 with an ax5

Back