• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I swear the problems never stop

xJeepxXJxThingx

NAXJA Forum User
I just swapped my tranny in my 93 and was running perfect for about a week and now when i go to start it it makes a squealing sound and sounds like its coming from the starter or more like a really bad winding noise need help...

auto aw4 the tranny is a 95 but it is working great i am wondering if the spring in the starter isnt catching the notch in the flywheel or if it isnt bolted down correctly

So the motor doesn't crank over and just makes the noise? If so, pull the starter before it damages the teeth on the flywheel. The solenoid might not be engaging or the one way clutch might be shot.

sounds like a pulley just went check kto see if any are loose and floppy without belt tension

because you just did a tranny swap, maybe the starter came loose and also check the bolts to the bellhousing didnt come loose.

test your starter by hooking it directly to the battery to see if it works. However, that's not a foolproof test. Mine tested out ok while doing that, but when installed the solenoid didn't engage.

I replaced the starter and she works like a charm!

Also, I know what you mean that the problems never stop. Sometimes I wonder why I deal with the Jeep as it is a neverending project. A love-hate relationship I suppose!

Pull the starter out. Hook it up direct to the battery with jumper cables to see what it's doing, or take it to the autoparts to get it tested. Feel the one-way cluch to see if it holds one way. Make sure the solenoid kicks in strongly. Not sure if you can see or feel the flywheel teeth through the starter opening, but you may as well try to check that out too.

The problems hopefully end soon i dont have the heart to get rid of my xj. But the pulleys werent loose and its missing a bolt holding the starter onto tranny which it is not all the way on the top is bolted not the bottom i wonder if that is making it just spin and not grab anything?????????

It certainly could be. I just don't want you tearing up your flywheel too from playing with this issue to long instead of popping the starter out. Get underneath and put your hand on the starter while someone cranks it. See if that gives you a better idea.

1.) Is gear visually damaged, 2.) can you spin the gear on the motor shaft both ways (bad)or does it spin one way and make the motor turn the other (good), 3.) a.) put starter motor body on negative battery post, b.)attach jumper cable to positive post, c.) touch other end of jumper cable firmly to small post on starter - gear should firmly move out as to engage flywheel (work that a few times to make sure it repeats), d.) touch jumper cable firmly to both starter posts at once - gear should jump out and motor spin. HOLD ON TIGHT - IT"S A PRETTY POWERFUL MOTOR. If you can get an extra set of hands, it helps.

Remove the one bolt holding your starter (it really does need two--very torquey item).

Remove the starter.

Mark flexplate (that thingy that automatic transmission vehicles have instead of a flywheel).

Have friend pull engine through 360 degree rotation while you lay on your back and check for damaged teeth on the flexplate.

If minor damage you might be lucky and get away without buying a new flexplate and having to install it. If damaged, replace.

Inspect the starter. Did it break the flange where the one bolt was? Did the gear get damaged? If either, replace starter or have it repaired.

Ok, best case scenario is undamaged teeth on the flexplate, starter flange not broken, and starter gear not damaged. Then take the starter and have its' operation tested, just for good luck.

Back