• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding an AW4

smcdonaldaz

NAXJA Forum User
What is involved? Can it be done by a garage mechanic? I see cheap transmissions listed where one gear slips. The cheapskate in me wants to buy and rebuild. I've seen rebuild kits for the transfer case, do they make them for the tranny?

They make rebuild kits for pretty much every trans. And actually it would probably be cheaper to find a known-good working trans and install it. I dont know about you, but my time is worth a decent amount of money.

As for the "slipping" it could be caused by something else. As the AW4 is elec. controlled there are a few factors that can affect how it shifts.. such as tps, TCU, wiring, etc.

Transmission rebuilds are pretty tricky IMHO if you have no prior tranny experience. Salvage yard transmissions should be pretty plentiful and are a good bang for the buck as well as allowing you to plug and play.

Back