• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

restoring your black finish on your flares.

fordtech

NAXJA Forum User
Maybe this product has been reported about before....?
I used Duplicolor Trim Black on my 98's faded flares this weekend. I painted the whole driver side except the front end cap (pass side was all new). You can barely tell the difference between the painted ones and the stock pieces! It looks really good.

I gave up on keeping up these flares a few months ago, I figured this would give them time for the ammor-all and crap to wear off. After the torch method, I wasnt getting the front flare back so I needed a new plan....I thought about Fusion, bedliner, and just plain matte black Krylon. Looking through Advance Auto for ideas I found the Duplicolor Trim paint and it looked worth a try.

I pulled the flares, and of course broke all the bolts! Those strips were ~25 a piece! Good thing a buddy gave me a box of flare parts and it had all but one of the strips in decent condition. I then taped off the door trim. I used a 320 grit sand paper to lightly scuff the surface to help adhesion, and clean up the surface. Then used a detergent type cleaner (Marine Clean from my POR kit), then a alcohol base cleaner. I then got to painting. Its a slow start due to the paint having a light coverage. The way this paint sprays it is very important to start spraying 'off' the piece then use a slow even motion across the piece and end 'off' it again. If you start, stop, or change direction while over the piece it will give a uneven and spotty finish. Once I got a few good coats on, I let it dry (it drys quick), and went over it one more time as carefuly as possible. The end result is a nice satin black color with a textured finish much like the original finish.

Hopefully it holds up well, we'll see. I dont do as much wheeling as I did before, so it doesnt see as much tree limbs and what not... sure looks better!

Back