• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

JCR OTK STEERING

surf2snow

NAXJA Forum User
I’m replacing my steering. And I have some questions?
  • Where can I get a taper reamer at a good price (Snap-on seems to have the cheapest that I’ve seen so far)?
  • Is there any tips or advice that anyone can give?

And go very slow and take your time reaming.

And as said, definitely get cutting oil.

And go very slow and take your time reaming.

And as said, definitely get cutting oil.

Oh yeah... reaming can be done on the vehicle but make sure that you dont "wobble" the reamer or you'll end up with an oblong hole.... Also keep checking the depth periodically to make sure you don't go too deep. On a flip side, you do want to make sure that the hole is not too shallow or the TRE will not sit in it properly.

Lastly if the reamer gets too warm let it cool down by just laying it on the side. Do not do any dunking or dipping in the water to cool it down.

I plan to remove the parts and use a mill to make sure that the ream is straight.

then you should be good but do remember to check the depth using the TRE. Also IIRC the pitman arm tre sits a bit differently then the knuckle tre's so try the appropriate tre in the appropriate hole.

Found one locally at a tool supply store for about half the price anyone else had (shaeffer supply 973 366 2858 there here in Jersey though). Look in the phone book. Your looking for a tapered reamer that goes from 1/2" to 1", there are different sizes out there.

Last edited:
I also tried my local tool supply (Nates) but all they have are pin reamers. Snap-on has them on back order but did give me the number to the local distributor and Quadratec has them for like $90. I didn’t think that this reamer was going to so hard to find.

Not sure if it helps but when I did my OTK conversion I bought a pair of inserts that you weld in the knuckles. If I recall they are made by a small company that's probably out of business due to the economic times.

Someone else may chime in with the name of the company.

Not sure if it helps but when I did my OTK conversion I bought a pair of inserts that you weld in the knuckles. If I recall they are made by a small company that's probably out of business due to the economic times.

Someone else may chime in with the name of the company.
Your better off reaming,but these guys are probably who you are thinking about.
http://www.goferitoffroad.com/

Your better off reaming,but these guys are probably who you are thinking about.
http://www.goferitoffroad.com/

You're definately better off reaming as
1. you'd have to drill out a bigger hole when using the inserts thus weaking the knucle/pitman arm.
2. it's not the best material combo to weld... I'm not saying it can't be done but it's just not the best combo.

When to use these inserts? if you want the same taper as you had and you're flipping the directino of it.

when i did my JCR OTK steering on my yj i had already done the OTK swap with the stock TRE's so reaming them for the one tons took very little time. i pulled the pitman arm off and did that in a drill press. even on the slowest speed it was too fast and i had to keep stopping and let it cool.

ordered my reamer through JCR...kind of a pain in the butt because the sub it out. I got my kit way before I got my reamer.

Couple tips:
- Have a kick-ass drill on hand
- Do the pitman first as it will kick your ass
- Knuckles are a cake walk after finishing the pitman

Reaming was not a fun job at all

ordered my reamer through JCR...kind of a pain in the butt because the sub it out. I got my kit way before I got my reamer.

Couple tips:
- Have a kick-ass drill on hand
- Do the pitman first as it will kick your ass
- Knuckles are a cake walk after finishing the pitman

Reaming was not a fun job at all

Yeah what he said!! X2

Well I just placed an order with Snap-on for the reamer. $56.61 not to bad of price. I did try to barrow one through some friends but no luck. Plus now that I’m changing I should have my own in case I might need later. So now it’s a waiting game, what will come first JCR steering of Snap-on reamer.

Not going to use a drill I am going to remove every thing and use a mill that I have at work. Plus it will give me chance to look over everything.

Again thanks to all with your tip and suggestions.

Coming from a hot rod world, speedway motors sells both size reamers and they are pretty good on price. In fact I own both sizes, if I could just remember where I put them.

Back