• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gumout

Jester99

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anyone here that recommends me not using this? I was going to pour some in at the next fill up. I have had increasing hesitation on start up and within the first few minutes of driving and also rough idle. My gas mileage has dropped in the last couple of months by about 2-3 mpg's as well. I don't wanna put "crap" into my XJ.

There is no such thing as Christ-in-a-can...instead of putting something like that in just fill it up with 93.

Do they switch to E10 in the winter in your state? I consistently get 2-3 MPG worse during winter due to the ethanol blend the stations sell. Just food for thought.

My experience with engine-repair-in-a-can products is that most are snake oil. Seafoam did nothing but make a mess out of my brother's 1275cc Mini engine, despite following the directions exactly. Made the mistake of running MMO in my old Subaru for a couple oil changes and the lifters never stopped ticking after that.

I'd suggest giving it a tune-up if it needs one, and replacing the air and fuel filters if they're about due.

Reviewing tuneup hardware status is ALWAYS job #1 when symptomatic. Plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter.

Fuel injector cleaner, when added to gasoline, is generally safe. I prefer using Chevron/Techron as a fuel injector cleaner. Comes pretty highly recommended from a number of sources and users. Gumout is kind of a low end product IMHO.

According to an independent study from the University of Iowa, a 10% blend of alcohol in the gasoline results in an "approximate" 3.6% reduction in gas mileage. And toss in longer warmup times; ie more time in closed loop also drops your mileage some as well.

Generally speaking, higher octane is not necessary in a stock Jeep 4.0 engine. Save your money.

Check that, I meant more time in "open loop" drops your mileage a bit. When the engine is in open loop, the computer does not rely on sensors for inputs and fuel/air optimization, rather it sets the fuel/air mixture richer....That in and by itself would not be responsible for a significant mileage drop, but added to the oxygenated fuel and sometimes a bit of warmup time in the driveway/garage on those cold mornings, (depending on where you live, commonplace up here in MN) a drop of anywhere up to 10% in gas mileage between summer and winter is not unusual.

Last edited:
I've heard nothing but good about BG44K($20), and will use that next time I want to clean the fuel system. I've used the Chevron Techron cleaner and Seafoam on numerous occasions and both do a good job.

I've had positive measured results with Chevron Techron FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER, not the fuel injection cleaner, the fuel system cleaner has 3x the concentration of cleaners that clean from the pump forward. I started using it back in 85 when I was in field service and kept exact logs of calls, miles and gas based on driving 2,000 to 3,000 miles a week in NJ, NY and PA. None of the other additives like gumout, STP, seafoam seemed to do anything, however the Valvoline spray cleaner does do a really good job of cleaning the throttle body plus I like that they have an adjustable and downward spraying nozzle on the can, less waste. I also do the plugs, wires, cap and rotor every other summer, I've cut my driving to 300mi a week give or take 100 miles. Plus I have only ever used regular, I put mid grade in once when I needed gas and the station was out of regular, other than a bigger wallet hit I noticed NO difference.

OK thanks everyone. I think I'll take the gumout back. Where can I pick up this Chevron/Techron cleaner?

I am not sure about the winter blend of gas, but I'll check the next time I full up. I wouldn't be surprised in the least...

OK thanks everyone. I think I'll take the gumout back. Where can I pick up this Chevron/Techron cleaner?

I am not sure about the winter blend of gas, but I'll check the next time I full up. I wouldn't be surprised in the least...

Almost all the parts store carry it, AA had a 2 for 1 sale of the 20oz so I bought a 6 and got 6, still have 9 left :D

Back