• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ruffstuff & Shipping Costs'

Dan Fredrickson

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to fill everyone in on our shipping costs' and times.......
This is especially important for those of you that haven't purchased parts from us before and don't know. We use the USPS Flat Rate Priority mail boxes wherever possible because we can put up to 70 lbs in one and ship it anywhere in the US or US territories for only $10. About 20 of our products are too big for the flat rate boxes but we ship quite a few a day and get a pretty good discount from UPS on those. Another thing about the Flat Rate Boxes is the speed to the destination, they are only 3 days accross the country!

The cost to ship heavy parts can put a big dent in your parts budget so if it will fit in an envelope we will put it in one and save you even more money......

Why our competitors don't use them is pretty easy to surmise, its not easy for them. UPS comes at the same time every afternoon and picks it up. With the PO they pick up the early boxes around 10am but any orders we receive after that we take to the PO so it does cost me a bit more but thats just a cost of doing business.....And at 3 days they are way faster without paying more.

Another thing I try to avoid are the companies that try and profit from thier shipping. We all know what it should cost to ship things and if the companies ship alot they also get big discounts from UPS & FEDEX. So, if your shipping charges seem too high ask them to ship it in a USPS box, if they won't, shop where they will because its your money! Its' one of the reasons we are one of the biggest parts suppliers to Guam, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands, Alaska, and Hawaii!

Werd.

That's why WiP has always used Flat Rate boxes as well - I'll admit that I do get a bit extra (to cover the cost of fuel taking boxes in, more than anything else,) but I don't run Pack & Post as a "profit centre," nor do I plan to. I simply charge a "per box" flat rate and run with it.

Advantages to USPS Priority Post?
Three days domestically. Anywhere.
Delivery to PO boxes. Only the Postal People can deliver to a PO box.
Flat rates apply for international shipping (just rather higher, and a lower weight limit.)
No "Brokerage Fees" (whatever those are) to Canada.
Three sizes/shapes of "flat rate" box - two ship for the $12 rate I assign, and one ships for $15 or so (it's a bit larger.)
And, there's a substation in the mall here that keeps mall hours - saves me having to run places before 1700 sharp (when they shut the wretched doors!) and gives me an extra three or four hours a day to finish things. And Saturday drop-off until 2100. And Sundays.
No surcharge for Saturday delivery (UPS and FedEx both charge extra to deliver on Saturday, or you can wait until Monday...)

Yah, there are quite a few advantages - and that's why more of us are using the Postal People. Good on you Dan - now, if we can just keep them from hiking their rates on a regular basis...

Hiking thier rates? Like they did yesterday? They didn't even seem to advertise that one.....

Yeah, like that. The people at the local branch didn't even get a memo on it - they managed to hear about it from another customer!

I suppose I don't mind rates going up so much as they don't advertise it, and the branch people don't get memos on it. That's not their fault - I blame higher-higher.

(It's still worth noting that the 'flat rate' stuff is probably the best deal in shipping over all, but it gets tiresome when things keep changing... All else being equal - I still ship with the Postal People. No "distance charge" or "shipping zones" either. But, I've already sent in a gripe about not letting us know that Priority rates went up on us... If you ship plenty with the Postal People, you get regular e-mail alerts anyhow - so why not get one when the rates go up?)

Dan,
I just ordered the 8.8 swap and two diff covers from you. I really appreciate the deal you do on shipping. $10 to ship all three items is a great deal. :cheers:

Thanks, Lee

Dan,
I just ordered the 8.8 swap and two diff covers from you. I really appreciate the deal you do on shipping. $10 to ship all three items is a great deal.
cheers.gif

Thanks, Lee

eek3.gif
That's insane! Especially since Dan's stuff is a so beefy that he's gotta have the "Team Lift" sticker on the side of the box!
rofl.gif

Billy

eek3.gif
That's insane! Especially since Dan's stuff is a so beefy that he's gotta have the "Team Lift" sticker on the side of the box!
rofl.gif

Billy

Maybe so, but I'd say don't try drilling 9/16" bolt holes out to 5/8" without annealing the material first!

Is it quenched after laser cutting or something?

Back