• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

44 questions??

kinlawk

NAXJA Forum User
I have been researching for my front axle build. The more i research the more I get confused. I have read the dana 44 tech section about 5 times.

My guestions.......

Why do people want to buy dana 44 kingpins if the king pin joint is obsolet?

what does a kingpin axle look like?

what is the difference between flat top knuckles and regular knuckles?(pics)

I have read that people get there knuckles machined. what are they machining? Is this regular knuckle or is this the flat top knuckle?

I understand that the Ford HP Dana 44 comes with either cast "C's" or welded "C's". I also under stand that the welded "C's" are more desirable but is there a way to modify cast "C's" to make it possible to connect suspension links?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!!

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Tons of information you need for a front 44. They have pictures in there that show regular and flat top knuckles, as well as kingpin axles.

When people are getting knuckles machined, they are milling the top of a flat top knuckle flat. There needs to be a perfetly flat surface to mate the knuckle and the high steer arm, so that there is maximum friction between the arm and knuckle, so it doesn't come lose.

I haven't heard of people looking for kingpin 44s.

You can use the cast C's axle, but you can't narrow it, or use anything but the ford radius arm set up.

I have been researching for my front axle build. The more i research the more I get confused. I have read the dana 44 tech section about 5 times.

My guestions.......

Why do people want to buy dana 44 kingpins if the king pin joint is obsolet?

what does a kingpin axle look like?

what is the difference between flat top knuckles and regular knuckles?(pics)

I have read that people get there knuckles machined. what are they machining? Is this regular knuckle or is this the flat top knuckle?

I understand that the Ford HP Dana 44 comes with either cast "C's" or welded "C's". I also under stand that the welded "C's" are more desirable but is there a way to modify cast "C's" to make it possible to connect suspension links?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!!
My guess is that you are confusing people who are looking for the kingpin 60s, which is "more desirable" then the ball joint equivalent.

Flat top knuckles have been machined to accept high steer arms. There are a couple instances where they come like that (without the high steer arms) from the factory, however those are often hard to find.

All Ford knuckles do not have enough metal to be machined without taking off to much material, so you have to use Chevy knuckles. Then you have to figure out if you want to go with Chevy outers, or do a mix and match for another pattern.

As for the cast Cs you are talking about, you are thinking of cast wedges, which Ford used from the factory to mount their radius arms. The best way is to simply get rid of them by cutting them off. That is, assuming you got an axle with them welded on, not cast on.

The link Begster gave you highlights the different options of high steer you have, as well as showing the difference between the different years of axles.

Wow, I didn't even notice he said C's instead of wedges. Those were what I was talking about in my post, not the C's.

Not all Ford knuckles don't have enough material. Ford F250 flat tops can be used for high steer. I had a pair before I realized though, you need to run the F250 outer parts, and an 8 lug pattern.

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html
Tons of information you need for a front 44. They have pictures in there that show regular and flat top knuckles, as well as kingpin axles.

When people are getting knuckles machined, they are milling the top of a flat top knuckle flat. There needs to be a perfetly flat surface to mate the knuckle and the high steer arm, so that there is maximum friction between the arm and knuckle, so it doesn't come lose.

I haven't heard of people looking for kingpin 44s.

You can use the cast C's axle, but you can't narrow it, or use anything but the ford radius arm set up.

That link is everything that I am looking for. Thanks so much. Already found a HP Dana 44 housing for $50 and a locked up waggy front for $200. I guess it's off to the salvage yard for some Chevy flat tops.

AGAIN thank you. That link answered all my questions.

Back