• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

FORD 8.8 swap

CherokeeCrawler88

NAXJA Forum User
Hey cherokee buddies. Got a question i know it's probably already posted up on here somewhere. But, im going to chromoly my dana 30 to make it stronger but they don't sale anything to make the 8.25 27 spline stronger. If im going to run 35s in the near future would it be best swap the carrier to 29 spline or swap over a 8.8? If so is the 8.8 hard to install? Do they sale a kit to do it? I would very much appreciate any replys.

Thanks alot,
Corey

There are a lot of options for the 8.8 available, I personally am running a 29 spline 8.25 with discs. I think you may need to get wheel spacers for the 8.8 depending on what your donor vehicle is it may be slightly narrower. I don't know of any kits out there, but I know there are several companies that sale the tabs, shockmounts, and the perches, etc. out there. I would choose the 44 over both if I were to do a swap just because of compatibilty and the number of options that available for it.

There are kits out there for the swap, here's one from ruffstuff Link And you don't "Have" to run spacers, just depends on if you like the wheelbase to match the front, but you'll improve your turning radius a little if you don't. But anyway, if you know how to weld or can get someone to, the 8.8 is overall a better choice. (unless you are going to 1 tons and that's a whole new ballgame) That being said, I'm fixing to be running a 44 cause I don't have a welder in my shop..:bawl:

yes it will handle 35s, but cant beat on it too hard, especially locked. the 8.8 isnt much better, though i am putting one in my XJ this weekend. The reason i did it is i wont have to worry about busting shafts, it has more aftermarket support, disk brakes already on there, and also it has 4.10s already in it so it saves me money on doing a regear. This is for 35" tires btw.

You can also run 31 spline axles from a 91-94 Ford explorer if you are going to change the carrier. Thats what I did with my 8.8. It makes me feel better running 35's.

If you get it from an explorer it already will have 31 spline axles, then you dont have to change the carrier, and it will have disk brakes. Just look for a 97+ exploder (the rounded ones) and pull the axle, its also the right width (slightly narrower but not noticable), some even have LSDs

I used the bracket kit from Dan at ruffstuff specialties for my 8.8 swap and put in a super 88 kit, there are charts out there that rate each axle for maximum torque and maximum sustained torque, the stock 8.8 is actually stronger than a D44, and the D44 is stronger than the 8.25. You might want to look for a Ford 9 if you are going to be going that big.

you have to look around, your best bet is to find someone who has done an axle swap before that involved welding brackets and modifying brake lines. post in your local chapter. i just pulled my 8.8 today, wish me luck!

I did an 8.8 recently and wound up spending way too much, if I had to do it again I would have gone with one from EMS Offroad. They have the 8.8 all setup and ready to bolt in at a very reasonable price, if you consider ALL the things that will sooner or later need to do to make it work, you will come out on top in the end and have a better rear than if you build it yourself. Do yourself a favor and at least check them out. Same width as stock and no c-clips think about it, it's a much smarter choice.

Last edited:
btw, the stock 8.8 diff cover is paper thin.
get a good one from Dan at ruffstuff.

BOB

I did an 8.8 recently and wound up spending way too much, if I had to do it again I would have gone with one from EMS Offroad. They have the 8.8 all setup and ready to bolt in at a very reasonable price, if you consider ALL the things that will sooner or later need to do to make it work, you will come out on top in the end and have a better rear than if you build it yourself. Do yourself a favor and at least check them out. Same width as stock and no c-clips think about it, it's a much smarter choice.

WHat did u pay?

I payed 125 for a complete axle, caliper to caliper.
530 for a super 88 kit
100 (ish) for the ruffstuff specialties kit (steel was cheaper and a NAXJA discount)
80 for all new carrier and pinion bearings
35 each NAPA calipers
40 for paint and supplies
65 for a Solid diff cover
300 for a local shop to help with the install.

~Alex

There you go, there's alot of stuff needed besides just the axle to wind up in the end with a reliable axle you can trust. You really have no idea what the history is on a junk yard rear and I like the idea of new everything, less to crap out at exactly the worst time.

Its also A LOT easier to put new seals and bearings in when the entire axle is on a bench and clean, not rusty muddy and dripping slush on you.

to the OP, try to get some core's to use for your calipers, mine saved me $45 each at NAPA.
I forgot to mention an extended brake line from a dakota and one more passenger side caliper hose and some brake line and fittings.

Back