• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

terrible creaking noise from rear after 44 and detroit swap

blondejoncherokee

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
i just got done swapping in a some new axles, a 44 rear, 30 front both with 4.88s and rear detroit front true trac. anyway, i have a terrible creaking/groanig grinding sound under braking from the rear end. adjusted the parkinf brake out too much and it got worse, adjusted it back a bit it got a bit better but still terrible, sounds like the rear half of the jeep is gonna explode. could this merely be something with the brakes, which i will go check right now, or is this normal of a detroit rear end to make such terrible creaking under braking? just looking to get some input from anyone running a rear detroit.

alright i figured it out. the adjusting cable in the pass side rear drum was hanging off, so i can now imagine what was going on. anyway, i love the power of the detroit rear, 4.88's, and 31's! it reminds me of all the power the stocker plus some, i cant wait for 33's or 35's now! and the handling with a new track bar, new lcas, new gears, ball joints, lockers, steering brace, brakes, etc...

Back