• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Newb to lifting

xdewaynex

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys, ive done a bit of searching the past little bit and have a few questions. im about to buy an xj when i get my tax money and start saving for a lift. im looking to go w/ the rough country 4.5" lift w/ the full leaf spring pack instead of the aal option. its going to be more of a daily driver and pulling my honda 400ex. there are times i will go wheeling in it, but nothing hardcore. i asked a guy on a local forum and he mentioned something about getting a slip yolk eliminator. are lockers necessary as well, since it wont be a primary off roader?

what are the pros and cons of the rough country as apposed to the kit from rubicon express? any help is greatly appreciated. sorry for such the newbish questions.

Man, if I was you I would search craigslist and find one already lifted. I have seen a bunch of lifted cherokees here in Nashville for sale. Priced similar to a non lifted one as well.

ive looked on craigslist, but im looking to spend no more than $2000 for one right now. the lift is something to come later on.

How's he supposed to know how to fix it on the trail if he's never had to get into/under it? Plus, building it's part of the fun right?

ive found a nice looking 91 4dr w/ 244k on the body and supposedly 65k on the motor. guy is asking 1500obo. probably be able to jew him down a couple hundred more. then i can start saving for the lift. ive rode in 2 different jeeps w/ the re and rc lift, and honestly i couldnt tell a difference in the 2.

How's he supposed to know how to fix it on the trail if he's never had to get into/under it? Plus, building it's part of the fun right?

building is where all the fun is. i had a blast building my bagged s10.

you dont need lockers but with a 4.5 lift your probably going to need a slip yolk eliminator. i have a 4 inch lift and thats about the biggest you can go with out the slip yolk eliminator. i have a tomken 4inch lift and it wasnt to hard to install im 16 and i didnt have any big problems

My issue with purchasing a lifted vehicle, unless it was professionally done, it is hard to trust the quality especially when most people are not very smart

I would check an already modified/lifted XJ out very thoroughly before making an offer. But yes, you can save a bit of money by buying one that's already lifted/modded as opposed to buying the parts yourself later.

I believe on the older models you don't get driveline angle/vibe issues until 4.5-5" of lift, sometimes not even then. Newer ones seem to run into those issues above about 3". many people don't care much for Rough Country, but if you've ridden/driven an RC lifted XJ and found it acceptable, then go for it. Look around, drive different rigs with different set-ups, you'll find out what you can and can't live with.

Good luck.

so there is a big possibility if i get my hands on this 91, i wont have to worry about a sye w/ a 4.5" lift? the rc kit comes w/ the following:

Front coil springs, front lower control arms, transfer case drop kit, swaybar links, brake line relocating brackets, (4) RC Hydro 8000 series shocks

and i will be adding the full leaf spring kit as opposed to the aal and shackle kit. is there anything else that should be needed?

MBOGOSIA gave you good advice. If we can believe your post then DD and towing your toy is primary and the lifting is something in your pipe to smoke later. Your $ will find you a low mileage Country model, if you search, which is great towing on road and in stock form, is totally fine for limited off road. Go South of the rust belt and find the best stocker you can get and forget lifting for the time being. It's that "cart before the horse thing". Lifting your xj can be fun if you find automotive work fun but...it also opens up issues of on-road driveability(DW) and lower MPG. Nashville has a great Craigslist following and I see xj's on there all the time...just be carefull that they don't try to hillbilly you up in the price. Plus it's a whole other country. Take your passport.

Back