• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hard to get out of park

89toots

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 cherokee that is extremly hard to get out of park. I pulled the cover off of shifter, don't see any thing obvious wrong. The cables move freely. One cable goes to transmission where does the one go that connects to the gear indents (stops at each gear) I can get it out of park by using a screwdriver to push the mettal tab down. Its not the shift handel or the rod that goes down the center of shifter it is acually has somthing to do with the cable.

You have a brake pedal interlock as well. When you press the brake pedal, you should hear a relay under the driver side dash click. It operates a latch gizmo on the cable to the shifter. You also need to press the button on the shift handle.

Check the relay operation and the button release.

that happened to my trail rig, it wouldn't come out of park one day and made me nuts .. i pried the transmission selector cover up, popped off the clip that holds the cable and then yanked the cable off the shifter .. i've run it that way for a year, no probs since at all, but it's just a trail rig

I think I'm going to go that way. Just disconnect that particular cable and call it good for now. I hope it doesn't do anything else 'cause its my DD.
Thanks

The only thing this will effect is you will be able to turn the vehicle off in any gear. If you still have a properly functioning NSS it will not start in any gear...just park or neutral.

by turning off do you mean taking the key out?
you can turn it off in any gear but the key wont come out unless its in park or neutral.

It also means you will not have to press the brake pedal to shift into any gear. This was installed as a safety recall when a number of Jeeps had a "sudden acceleration" problem.

Back