• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Good tie rod ends and track bar?

PurpleCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've got death wobble... AGAIN. I've replace both upper and lower ball joints, both u-joints, and replaced all of the bushings with poly. Internally balanced tires also. So I'm guessing that I need to replace my tie rods. They've got around 200k on them and almost every one of the tie rod bushings (or whatever they're called) are completely f'd. So my question is where can I find some quality replacements? It's a street rig so I don't need giant bomb proof tie rods, I'm mainly just looking for good quality ones. Also, I should just need the ends right? Not tubes too? Mine aren't bent or anything. I'd like to replace the track bar also :) Thanks guys!

Bought a tre at Autozone recently. I was surprised at how much smaller (less robust) it is than OEM.

I won't buy another from them, just looks weak.

Anybody here have experience with TRW tre for the XJ?

PurpleCherokee said:
Also, I should just need the ends right? Not tubes too?
Sorta. For the actual tie rod, yes. The drag link ('center link' or 'passenger outer tie @ some part places)however, has one that is not removable. You should end up with 3 TREs and a drag link which has one TRE permanently installed and looks like so.
draglink.jpg

I got a 2-jaw tre puller from auto zone for a few bucks. The smaller one would have made removing the pitman arm tre easier.
good luck

Ok, so there's like a hundred dollar difference between their cheapest and most expensive drag links. What gives? What are the differences?? Same with the TRE's but not so much price difference. Is there much of a difference between them?

Back