• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

front axle questions

drknyt

NAXJA Forum User
so i'm trying to decide what the best narrowed axle for the front of my xj would be, i'm running a long arm 5.5" kit with 33s, would chromollys and ox joints hold up in a 30, or would it be worth getting a 44 out of new jeep that would bolt up then eventually get chromollys and ox joints?

i wouldn't bother with putting an ox in a 30 unless you can get a really good deal. it all depends on your budget is and what parts are available, and what you usually wheel. if you ever plan on going bigger than 33s and you have some time and $, i'd go for a HP 44 out of a late 70s f250.

Well you are in high traction country. so i would go with the 44. because of the ring gear size. dana 30 likes to spit them out with traction adders.

isn't the 44 a full width though? i would like to stay with narrowed axles because most of the trails around here were made by fourwheelers and i can usually fit now

A waggy D44 would work just fine.

Not a high pinion axle. Same size u-joint as the D30 though. But, everything else is there, brakes, lockout hubs, bigger ring gear, gear selection, ect..

I would not be afraid to run 35's or even a 36 on a chromo'd, u-jointed D30.

They are not that bad, as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle.

Back