• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil spring rates and what fits

gorkoxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I've done a pile of searching on the web and I can't seem to find the info I'm after. I have an '88 Limited with the 4.0 and its my DD. I want to retain a ride similiar to stock, but capable of playing in the rough now and again. I know its a give and take situation and if I know the rates I can figure out how much I'm willing to give up in ride quality. I want to get around 3-4 inches of lift on the front. I'll use CS spacers if I need to. Okay...enough yada yada. Here's my questions:

I'm looking to do a poor man's lift on my XJ and need to know what the coil spring rates are for the Ford coils. So far from what I've found, it seems that the common rating for the Ford front coil is around 400lbs. Just a little too stiff for my liking being the stock XJ's are around the 150 mark. What about the ones that were used on the 300-I6 Ford produced? Are they the same rate or a little lighter? How about the FS Bronco or Bronco II? Can I use the coils from the front or rear of any other vehicles (ie: Marquis, LTD, GM, Dodge, etc) and would they still give me at least a couple inches of lift?

I plan on using a Dakota bastard pack on the rear. From what I've read, it is a softer ride than the S10 setup. Am I right on this one? Anyone that can help me out with this? I'd really appreciate it

:worship:Oooohm to the gurus hahaha
Gord

1 ton coils and bastard packs.... you cant ask for ride quality. Either your going to fork out the money for a rubicon express (or like kit) and keep your ride quality, or your going to have a shitty, stiff, flexless rig.

Don't think I said anything about 1 ton coils. The 400lb rate is for the F150 front coils as I understand it. After reading a ton of posts from multiple forums, it seems like the concensus is that a Dakota bastard pack isn't much stiffer than the stock XJ suspension, but I may be wrong. Hence the reason for posing the questions here. Being I have a bud who owns a wrecker yard, I can get the parts for dirt cheap. I could do the entire lift for what a set of front lift coils would cost me. I'd go do the measuring myself, but I'm not to keen on crawling around in 3 feet of snow right now. Anyone who can answer what I've asked? The operative word here is "CHEAP"

v8 zj coils and coil spacers, im pretty sure thats what egghead is running and it works good for him. i dont know about the bastard packs though.

Coils are a lot cheaper than leaf packs, so if your on a budget Id just buy s10 or dakota leafs to built your bastard packs, and buy some good coils (look for used if you on a super tight budget).

wait to buy used coils and build a bastard pack. buy used shocks too. and make a t case drop. then save up some money and do it all over again but do it right.

Good answer Voodo, you win a free Happy Meal!!! I don't seem to recall saying anything relating to riding like a Caddy...did I? Nope.....just re-read all my posts to make sure and nothing there. Asked about staying close to the stock XJ ride, but no mention of a Caddy...nuh uh. Smokin' something funny or do you think a stock XJ rides like a Caddy? I don't, or at least mine sure doesn't. I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who has one that does. If you know of some "007 black ops G-man super dooper secret suspension" that does ride like a cloud, let the rest of us in on it. I'm sure a lot of people would be interested in such a miraculous ride on any XJ, or for that matter, any JEEP, 1/2 ton or 4x4. Maybe a freind of a bud's neighbor's husband's brother's son's pal had one you know of? Or you could just LEARN TO READ!!!!! Test on Friday.
Its that old saying....Make sure brain is in gear BEFORE engaging mouth!"
Okay, got that out of my system, all is good hahaha I never understand why people reply to posts for no real reason except to flap thier jaw or attempt to appear smart(ass).

I'm just asking for some real info from real people who might know. I'm sure there are some that are interested in this knowledge. Got to be some demand for home made lift info being almost every 4WD forum has some coverage of it. I've done my share of searching, but can't seem to find what I'm looking for. Maybe nothing exists, but it never hurts to ask.

I've know of and have been considering the ZJ V8 springs. I know the ZJ's will be a somewhat stiffer ride and I can use spacers to bring it up a little more and I can live with that. But I was kind of hoping to get a little more lift without having a lumber wagon ride of the Ford's if at all possible. Just curious if any of you guys know of stock coil springs from anything else that would do the 3-4 inch lift I'm after. I also wanted to get opinions are whether the Dakota bastard pack is a better riding system than the S10. From what I've read, both still have decent flex.

Oops...hope I didn't break any rules. Sometimes it should be said me thinks.

Thanks Blondejon and 99xj. Used coils are a bit difficult to find around my area. If I have to, I will buy new lift coils or go with the ZJ and spacers. Just wanted a little info if other springs would work.

Last edited:
as mentioned above, buy a set of used coil springs, i use stock xj leaves to build my bstard pack, and like the way it rides and handles

Here is the Junkyard upgrades thread, good stuff http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=951380&highlight=Junkyard+upgrades

And this was in there some where

Vehicle OD Wire Dia Free Turns Free Length Rate lb/in Lift inches
Chrokee 5 0.5512 7 18 209 0
72 F-150 5.3 0.6299 7.5 16.5 287 0.250
94 TBird 5.0 0.6299 9.0 18 297 1.93
75 E-150 5.5 0.700 7.5 17 409 2.16
70's F-250 4wd 5.38 0.685 8.5 17 356 1.67
65 F-100 5.13 0.6772 7.5 ? 448
73 E-150 van 5.50 0.748 8.75 ? 473

Little tuff on the eyes, but maybe helpful

Dane

Last edited:
Vehicle______OD_____Wire Dia_____Free Turns____Free Length_____Rate lb/in____Lift inches

Chrokee ______5_____0.5512______7______________18____________209_________0

72 F-150______5.3___0.6299______7.5____________16.5___________287_________0.250

94 TBird_______5.0___0.6299______9.0____________18_____________297________1.93

75 E-150______5.5___0.700________7.5____________17____________409_________2.16

65F-100_______5.13__0.6772_______7.5____________?_____________448_________?

73 E-150 van___5.50__0.748_______8.75____________?_____________473_________?

70's F-250 4wd_5.38__0.685________8.5____________17_____________356________1.67

Vehicle________OD_____Wire Dia_____Free Turns____Free Length_____Rate lb/in____Lift inches
Chrokee _______5______0.5512______7______________18____________209_________0
72 F-150_______5.3____0.6299______7.5____________16.5___________287_________0.250
94 TBird________5.0____0.6299______9.0____________18_____________297________1.93
75 E-150_______5.5____0.700________7.5____________17____________409_________2.16
65F-100________5.13___0.6772______7.5_____________?_____________448_________?
73 E-150 van____5.50___0.748_______8.75____________?_____________473_________?
70's F-250 4wd__5.38___0.685________8.5____________17____________356________1.67

Last edited:
WOW nice job bradow.

From what I am reading. He is looking to keep the ride he has but lift using stuff from a Junkyard. It can not be done. As you can see in the info they have posted Stock XJ spring rates are 209. Anything you get from a junkyard to get the lift you want is going to be double that rate for the most part. I have built a few race cars and worked on a ton of them. And you will feel a big difference going from 200 to 400 in Spring rate.

Coils are a lot cheaper than leaf packs, so if your on a budget Id just buy s10 or dakota leafs to built your bastard packs, and buy some good coils (look for used if you on a super tight budget).

This is what I did. Skyjacker coils up front and Dakota springs in the rear. Front's a little stiff, but not bad. Rear flexes great.

The Skyjacker coils were about $110.00

Now this is what I was talking about! Thanks to bradow and db10bo for the excellent info and junkyard parts link.:worship:Oohm to the gurus hahaha

I was also under the impression that the stock XJ springs were 150-160, not the 209 stated in the chart ????? Even a lot of the aftermarket lift springs come in under 200. I noticed that the Ford with an I6 wasn't included in the chart or are they the same as the V8 springs? I realistically don't expect the same ride as the stock, but I would like to keep it similar. I'll keep my eyes open for some used lift coils, but as I stated before, where I live (the Canadian flatlands), they're not easy to come by.

Anyway, money isn't really the issue on the lift...I'm just a cheap bastard! hahaha If I can do something acceptable for almost nothing, I'll always go that way. Being my bud owns a wrecking yard, used parts cost me next to nothing. Well, a case of beer, but I help him drink it. lol

Thanks again to all the guys who put in their 2 cents. Mucho appreciato

Back