• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil pressure gauge question

mitsumotors

NAXJA Forum User
my 91 cherokee has a oil pressure guage. but its a Canadian xj and it doesn't read in psi, it doesn't have any units of measurement on it so i'm not sure what its reading or what it is suppossed to be reading? any know?

Its just a generic reference--You can read it as you like.They are,nt all that accurate.

Wayne

I don't know, having no experience with the instrument cluster of Canadian XJs, but in theory changing the gauge and sending unit should be all that is required.

Anybody out there with actual Canadian instrument cluster experience?

Assuming it's calibrated the same as the US model, you can figure that the center is 40 PSI, the extremes 0 and 80, and interpolate from there. I'd be pretty surprised if there's any difference in the mechanics of the gauge or the sender. It's more likely they just changed the markings. If that's the case, then you should typically see the needle a few degrees above the center position when running normally, and somewhere in the vicinity of the 1/4 position at hot idle, representing something in the neighborhood of 45 PSI running and 20 at idle. If that's the case, you won't gain anything but markings by changing it.

The gauges mount simply to the back side of the cluster, so if you really must have markings, you can just take the gauge out and paint whatever you want on the face. If you opt for a US type gauge, be a little careful, because there were some changes in the cluster over the years, and even whole clusters that are interchangeable may not have interchangeable components.

Back