• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Broken Axle Tool

Well we do lack the true frame to attach one of those to.

and for what it s worth my brother saw a wrangler driving around with a 2x4 holding the axle in. so they do work, but I have no idea how well.

Well we do lack the true frame to attach one of those to.

and for what it s worth my brother saw a wrangler driving around with a 2x4 holding the axle in. so they do work, but I have no idea how well.

True but we do however have our little holes in the frame...
and that sounds like some of the people around here...except they are using 2x4's for jack stands...

-PJ-

a spare shaft is much more cost effective than that thing, plus you will still have 4 wheel drive

It's only useful if a C-clip breaks.
Another idea, add rear discs.
That would accomplish the same thing: keeping the axle from
coming out until you can get back to the pavement.

It's only useful if a C-clip breaks.
Another idea, add rear discs.
That would accomplish the same thing: keeping the axle from
coming out until you can get back to the pavement.

just a thought, but I am gonna guess the 2x 10mm bolts holding the calipers on the axle would not suffice in holding the axle shaft in the axle if the c clip is broken.

$190 BEFORE shipping, you can buy a dana 44, ford 8.8 or 9 for that, you'd be retarded to buy and carry that....

ive heard the same thing before, that disk brakes will magically cure your broken axle shaft woes...and let you limp back to camp.... ive yet to see it in person, but i cant imagine that lasting long... you dont normally break axle shafts in level parking lots. (or maybe you d35 tards do....)

just a thought, but I am gonna guess the 2x 10mm bolts holding the calipers on the axle would not suffice in holding the axle shaft in the axle if the c clip is broken.

The 10mm bolts absorb rotational stress, not outward force. To have the axle slide out would require shearing the caliper bracket or rotor off. The one time I saw a broken axle, on an 8.25 with a rear disc, it was able to get back to camp. It probably depends on where the break occurs.

I would rather spend the money on stronger axle shafts, not on a collection of pipe and chain that would probably damage the frame where it attaches.

The 10mm bolts absorb rotational stress, not outward force. To have the axle slide out would require shearing the caliper bracket or rotor off. The one time I saw a broken axle, on an 8.25 with a rear disc, it was able to get back to camp. It probably depends on where the break occurs.

guess it would depend on where you are, and what trail your limpin off of.
I would put very little faith in the caliper holding the shaft in. There are plenty of pics of TJ's with discs on their D35's with the tires rolling on past them.

but ya, stronger axles built for the right tire size would be money better spent.

Back