• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rad. fan missing???/fan clutch burnt out

XJ Beater

NAXJA Forum User
ok, so i have the mechanical fan, driven by the serpentine belt, im guessing the clutch is shot seeing how i can spin it freely both directions when the motor isnt running, can i just put some nuts and bolts through it and eliminate the clutch?, also, it looks like theres supposed to mabye be an electric fan on the radiator as well?, is it possible it was an option i didnt get?, how hard is it to add one?, would the wiring be there already?, any help would be great...

ok as far as i know u canot just put a bolt though it, i was told they are only about $140 new, and as for the electric fan - do u have ac?
is there a sensor on the rad(drivers side) and wires comming off it?

wow, that post hurt my head.
FIrst thing you need to do is post your year and specs.
5 Spds without AC didn't come with electric aux fans.
The fan clutch will spin freely when it's cool, that's what it does.
You need to run the motorup to operating temp, then turn it off, then go and try to spin the fan. It should still spin, but stop after 1/2 to 3/4 revolutions. The clutch is heat activated, hot air flos over it from the rad and it stiffens up.
Now, I assume you have overheating issues, care to elaborate on those?

sorry, its a 1990 automatic, 4.o, 2wd, has ac, dont see any wires near the rad, but they might be hiding somewhere, it was in an accident at one time and the front end was redone, so things are moved around some, clutch is ok, checked it today, when hot it does like you guys said, moves just a little, it used to overheat badly due to cracked pressure bottle, now if i go wheeling and stay under 10mph, or sit in traffic for awhile, itll get up to about 225, mabye 230, but cools down after a few miles of normal driving, pretty positive an electric fan was there at some point but removed for some reason, what years can i get one from, where would i find wiring, etc???

Get the elec. fan from a 96+. They have a better blade design & flow more air. The plug for the fan may have dropped down between the air box & the header panel. JIM.

and there are some aftermarket fans that have built in temp sensors, or u can buy the sensor seperate with relay for about $28, and aftermarket fan should be around $80(hayden)

The sensor should be in the radiator, driver side, facing the airbox. Follow the harness from the sensor to the connector. The leads is only about 6 inches long. Somehere nearby should be another 2 wire connector that is detached. This should be the fan harness.

Sounds like they "forgot" to put the fan back on.

yep, found the sensor, the wiring was there too, remembered seeing it when i first got the truck and wondering wtf the foot long wire went to..., i can tap into the + lead and wire it to a switch as well, so not only does it work off the temp sensor, but it can be turned on when wheelin at slow speeds etc?,

XJ Beater said:
yep, found the sensor, the wiring was there too, remembered seeing it when i first got the truck and wondering wtf the foot long wire went to..., i can tap into the + lead and wire it to a switch as well, so not only does it work off the temp sensor, but it can be turned on when wheelin at slow speeds etc?,

Sure if you feel the need.

I wired mine up with a separate relay. So did Mike. JIM.

Back