• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gauge cluster swap

azandy

NAXJA Forum User
94 cherokee. I have idiot lights. Has anyone swapped out cluster to gauge cluster? I know I will have to add sensors but I want to know if harness is prewired for Tach, oil pres, temp etc...???

Yes as long as you add a new oil, water sensors it should work just fine. One thing you did not mention. What year will the donor cluster be out of. The early year XJ's had a cable ran speedo were the newer style clusters have an electrically ran speedo.

I have a 92. Did the swap from idiot lights to full gauges. I didnt have to change out any sensors on the engine. One of the first and best mods I did.

When I swap out the rear D44 for a D35 I will probably put the idiot lights back in.
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=981512

John

Huh? John, that's more than a little odd. Your oil & water gauges should be pegged one way or the other. The senders for the idiot lights are simple on/off contacts, the sensors for the gauge package are ranging devices.

I did this to my 94 years ago. It's not difficult, aside from the IP swap, it's just 2 sensor changes. The one remaining item would be the mileage in gauge package.

If you're interested, I have the panel from a 92 XJ sitting in my garage. Drop me a note if you're interested.

I sure don't remember changing out any sensors. But......

After reading about 12 of the 18 threads on this swap there I have not doubt that I swapped them out. Guess it was so easy to get them and install them that it wasnt worth remembering.

ChiXJeff, you are correct new sensors are needed.

It really depends on what you are starting with. On my '89 I had mostly full guages. Speedo, temp, oil press, and HUGE fuel guage The only thing I really gained from the swap was a tach and a smaller fuel guage.

i have a 96 and I had to change the oil pres sensor and water temp sensor, the one that is further back on the block. You can pull these sensors off a donor jeep in the yard.

Ok, I just did the swap and had the same result after doing the sensor swap. Oil Press is pegged above 80 and the temp does not register.

I bought the sensors from Autozone, does anyone know the correct part numbers ?

Just want to make sure the "professional" behind the counter gave me the correct part.

Thx

Dennis, you didn't use teflon tape on the oil pressure sender, did you?

And on the temp sensor, you replaced the small one at the back of the head, right?

And check the braided ground strap. That's the ground for the gauges.

I know you know more about Jeeps than I do, but those are the only things I could think of. :laugh3:

Just want to make sure the "professional" behind the counter gave me the correct part.

he should have asked you 'gauges, or idiot light', if he didnt... well thats the ZONE for ya...

looked it up for a 90, came up w/ TU108... for gauges on the coolant temp, its $9.
and OP24731 for the oil.... also for gauges...

OP22641 , PS117 , TU82 , or SW594 are all the wrong parts...

Dennis, you didn't use teflon tape on the oil pressure sender, did you?

And on the temp sensor, you replaced the small one at the back of the head, right?

And check the braided ground strap. That's the ground for the gauges.

I know you know more about Jeeps than I do, but those are the only things I could think of. :laugh3:

No, I let the "professional" behind the counter determine what sending units that I needed were (I know, rookie mistake).

I may need to "burp" the cooling system, it seems a little bit warm, but it has been like that since I got it with no guages and no problems.

Anyone need sending units for lights, I have new ones for both.

Back