• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lots of idling and cold starts: Problems?

TacticalFats

NAXJA Forum User
I recently (fall) got myself a 'new' 97 Cherokee. It's a police package/service model (242, LSD, Upcountry-ish suspension, tow package, hooks, skids, ext idle, 120mph speedo-lol, etc).

I paid $3000. It has/had 42k on it. Yes, a 12 year old with 42k. And I sold my 'old' 97 to a friend for $2800, so it really only cost me $200.

"Oh, it was a cop car; it's ragged out."

No, sir, incorrect. It was a fire chief vehicle in a sleepy residential subdivision from 98 to 04, when it became the FD mechanic's go-fer vehicle. It was also used for going to training and as a backup battalion chief vehicle. It's been sitting since March, I got it in Sept, and got it on the road in November.

It needed a new battery, and I did all the usual maintenence (axles, TC, oil, full tuneup, etc). The radiator also sprung a pretty good leak, so I replaced all the cooling-system crap (WP, t-stat, belt, fan clutch, hoses and, of course, the radiator).

My question is: I'm sure this thing was just started, and off it went, probably at full-throttle. No warm-up whatsoever. It was also idled quite a bit during it's service life at scenes, although not on a daily or maybe even weekly basis.

What type of effect would this have on the overall life of the truck? Anyone else's vehicle been subjected to unusually high amounts of extended idling?

Most the time, the only thing high amounts of idling will effect is the conditions of the rings on the pistons being worn more, other than that theres not much else that would be effected....

Extended idling is not harmful to an engine. The engine may have a little more normal wear than another engine with 42k as it has more "hours" on it if it was idled A LOT, but I wouldn't be concerned about it. You did the right thing by changing out the fluids, cooling system overhaul and a tuneup. Didn't see any mention of changing tranny fluid. If you haven't done so and the records don't indicate recent tranny service, I would do so. Drain fluid from pan and replace. If you're ambitious, drop the pan while you're at it and change/clean the filter screen. Enjoy your new XJ!

Last edited:
Back