• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brakes locking up

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Well if this ain't a b####. Yesterday I was scouting out some more lakes to ice fish and while on the way home I put my Jeep into the ditch. Never ever did this in my life and I drive around 45000 miles a year in this area. I assumed maybe I was driving too fast for conditions and was too relaxed. Anyways what I found out after getting it out of the ditch is the right wheel is locking up on snowy roads with the softest of touch to the brake pedal. On the same roads I had to slam the brake pedal to get the fronts to lock. I'm thinking proportioning valve. Any other ideas?

If it is the rear wheels that are locking up- check your rear wheel cylinders. The slightest leak will make the rear shoes swell and lock up the rear brakes until the brakes heat up from being cold.

Mine would lock up an skid the tire occasionally when they were way out of adjustment. I know, they are suppossed to be self-adjusting, but that stuff gets stiff, and some of my adjusting cable was made wrong to start with. You can reach in thru the slot in the backing plate to adjust them up tighter. Or pull off the drums and check it all out.

I'll be parking it and pulling the drums when it gets a touch warmer here. Have not broke the 20 degree mark here in almost a month.:shiver:
Thank God for Olde Reliable. My 94 XJ.

Rear lockup is a perennial XJ problem, and there are various factors that can contribute, but usually when it happens to me I find that the self-adjusters aren't doing their work. A nice snug manual adjustment usually helps a lot.

Not that you shouldn't do a thorough check for all other possible contributors too.

Back