• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

something spewed everywhere...brakefluid/power steering fluid

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
well i cant explain exactly what happened at the time because i wasnt there....but my brother decided he wanted to take my jeep around the trails at my house. well after putting the 38s on it i noticed i was leaking a little powersteering fluid. between 38s, and a spooled 44, i know the pump was struggling, so i wasn't very concerned. (hydroassist is coming next). but i came home today to a very strange leak that i cant figure out. it looks/smells like brake fluid just went everywhere. the brake booster, mastercyliner, and bottom of hood are all covered in what appears to be brake fluid. BUT the brake fluid reservoir is completely full.

NOW the power steering fluid reservoir is almost dry, but ive followed every line and done see it leaking anywhere.

i started the jeep, and had my brother pump the brakes and didn't see any leaks anywhere.

completely stumped. location says brake fluid...but its full....logic says power steering fluid, but its not leaking from what i can see.

why don't you refill the power steering fluid and maybe then you might see where it's leaking....

I too had a mysterious leak that I couldn't figure out. The power steering fluid was always low, but I could never find a leak. It turned out to be a bad power steering pressure hose.

it just seems so clear that is has to be brake fluid though. what are signs of a shot brake booster. because it, along with the master cylinder is completely soaked. the hood above it is soaked, and its running down the inner fender walls.

everything around the power steering pump/box is dry, but fluid is down...just down get it.

Are you sure your PS fluid is not clear also? Not all PS fluid is red. The PS fluid in my reservoir is clear.

Besides, you said your PS fluid is low and your master is full.

it just seems so clear that is has to be brake fluid though. what are signs of a shot brake booster. because it, along with the master cylinder is completely soaked. the hood above it is soaked, and its running down the inner fender walls.

everything around the power steering pump/box is dry, but fluid is down...just down get it.
I'd wash/shampoo the engine bay, top eveything up and try it, I had to get towed out of the bush once, and power steering fluid came out the pee hole in the cap and went everywhere. Some power steering fluid is actually clear or yellowish and not red

fill the steering fluid and start the engine, then have someone turn it all the way to one side. You should hear the pump squeal and the pressure side hose will spray everywhere....but it only does it when the wheel is at full lock.

fill the steering fluid and start the engine, then have someone turn it all the way to one side. You should hear the pump squeal and the pressure side hose will spray everywhere....but it only does it when the wheel is at full lock.

x2. Mines like that now.

Get a new one. Mine was $20 at Kragens.

You'll need a 18mm wrench to change out that hose, btw.

^^HUH....power steering fluid last time i checked is clear...tranny is pink..and yes, i have seen brake fluid spray before...it is a liquid in its most basic state

I checked the FSM about the power steering fluid and it says to use the MOPAR PS fluid - do not use tranny fluid. That sound like a Chrysler rip-off. Ford says to use tranny fluid. (But in this case, technically you are correct.) Brake fluid is liquid. How did you make it spray around? I've only see it leak.

well ive seen people flare brake lines and do a bad job, and the first time they hit the brakes itll spray....ripped brake lines...thatll spray...i guess im thinking leak, just with a bit of force

but the 18mm isn't a problem. i just saw the hose on advances website and neither ends look all that big. must just be the pic though

My power steering was empty when I bought my jeep almost six years ago. Figured I had a pretty bad leak so I asked my buddy what he thought and he told me he puts 10w-30 motor oil in his and it works great and leaks less than PS fluid. So, I put it in and have been running it ever since and I have yet to have to change the pump or box although both leak slowly. Just my two cents.

You can use atf in anything except the brakes...and the washer fluid.

To answer an earlier question, it would be difficult to fix the pressure line for the power steering. I tried and it held until the wheel turned to full lock and then the piece of hose I used exploded, the clamp flew off, and I was covered in fluid.

Back