• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

94' xj t-case removal, all nuts taken off but wont seperate!

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
so i removed all the nuts including the lame ones behind the 4x4 shift linkage swivel mount. the case still wont seperate from the tranny. now it looks like a 2" thick adapter plate between my tranny (aw4) and t-case (231) and im not sure if this must be removed as well for the t-case to seperate. it isnt like this on my 89' peugot/231 thats for sure.

you probably don't have the bolts at the very top of the case off. If your had isn't sore, and you haven't had to use a stubby wrench, or a concotion of extensions and swivels you don't have all the bolts off.....

There are six stud nuts that hold the transfer case to the transmission. Have you removed all six?

Getting a socket on? Nope.

Getting a full-length wrench on? Maybe.

Getting a stubby wrench on? Sure - if you lower the tailend of the drivetrain first, then get in there. Then, you just need to multiply your leverage somehow that would actually fit in between the transfer case and the floorpan...

Is it a PITA? Certainly!

I forgot one thats kinda caged and hidden on the passenger side lower, the hole was all full of mud and couldnt see it. And remember to put a nut back on a few threads so you dont drop the case on your toe. I used a stubby, a full combo wrench and a prybar for leverage.

I was taking off the t-case on my dad's ZJ and had some HORRIBLE corrosion on the top most stud making it ridiculous to get off. I don't know if XJ's have this problem or not (my YJ didn't and I haven't had to take the 231 off my XJ yet). I tried everything and resorted to breaking the case on his 249 to get it off (switched to 231 but wanted to salvage the old case).

Back