• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What would you do in my situation?

Tate228

NAXJA Forum User
I need to hear some opinions on my axle situation. I need to regear im currently running 3.07 gears in a 27spline 8.25 chrysler. I have an older 8.8 with drum brakes at my shop. Im planning on going to 33" tires so a set of 4.56 gears will be in order. Im tempted to buy some dana 44's for some more beef. Is it worth it to swap the crappy 8.8 in or go to 29spline on the 8.25 and go with it.

Keep the 8.25, or put in the 8.8, it really doesnt matter. Either way you will be reagearing it, both have drums which is kinda lame. As far as strength, on 33s you will be more than fine on either. Keep in mind the 8.8 has more aftermarket support, BUT it will require you fab up brackets to install it.

Since your going with 33s, one option would be sell the 8.25 and 8.8 and spend $200 on a 8.8 with disks and 4.10s. They are everywhere, and you'll have disk breaks also, more aftermarket support, and a free re-gearing. Then get a d30 fron the junkyard from a 4 cyl taht has 4.10s. Then you save about $1000-$1600 on gearing (depending on where you go).

There are ups and downs of each option, but i would pass on 44s in this situation. Also one thing to point out is that your 8.25 has 27 spline shafts, im not sure how they stack up to the 29 spline version in terms of toughness. 8.8 will have 31 spline if you get the explorer ones.

Where did your drummed 88 come from? If its full size skip it, also toss it if its got the 28 spline shafts.

so your gonna have to regear to use that axle... consider it a stumble.... it'll cause more trouble then anything.
whats your tire size goals? a lot of people abuse the 29spl 8.25's on 35's....
so, the question is, is what all are you interested in doing to the axle? if you want to build up one, i'd say start w/ a new 8.8 w/ disks... and regear/lock it. a d44 rear would add disk brakes as another thing you gotta spend money on, and theyre strength is debatable (as to which is stronger, theyre both pretty strong built up).

Im really tempted to go with waggy 44's. Ive been looking at a Rodeo 44 those have the disc brakes and 6 lug. im pretty sure the 8.8 i have isnt going to be a big enough advantage to be worth it.

they are at least equal... the only downside to the 8.8 is the c-clips and width,its a little narrower, but a lot beefier in the tubes.

waggy d44's would be fw, so if your set on going full width, the 8.8 is definately out in explorer configurations.

they are at least equal... the only downside to the 8.8 is the c-clips and width,its a little narrower, but a lot beefier in the tubes.

waggy d44's would be fw, so if your set on going full width, the 8.8 is definately out in explorer configurations.
Waggy 44s are not really full width. The front is about the same, and the rear is actually narrower. They are however 6 lug, but the waggy front and rodeo rear would be a great combo. Both of these are about the same width as stock with a matching 6 lug pattern. I almost went this route, but couldn't find a rodeo rear for a decent price (already had the waggy front). Then there's the LP44 vs HP30 debate...

Since your 8.8 is out of an explorer it is 31 spline vs. a ranger axle that's only 28. It would be stronger than either 8.25.

Because you already have it, and either would need gears, I'd run the 8.8. It's not a crappy 8.8 by any means, it just doesn't have the brake upgrade built in. You could then sell the 8.25 to help pay for gears, or a JY disk conversion. Many 8.8 applications have a 5 on 4.5" pattern with disk brakes, so finding conversion parts is easy.

Back