• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NO BUS starts and runs fine

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, so you may have seen my previous threads and I still need some help with this so that I can put my dash back together.

A few months ago, I started getting no bus and my gauges quit working. After fooling around with other things and letting it sit for awhile, it got to where it wouldn't start. From my last thread, just to recap: I replaced the tps(twice actually), the iac, had the battery and starter tested, checked and replaced my firewall ground, and new cap and rotor. I also removed the gauge set, tweaked the pins, and covered them with dielectric grease before reassembling. Still getting a "no bus" after driving for a few minutes.

Any advice?

Have you checked power supply for the bus and grounds. You have checked contacts at your gauges but the bus also has other grounds. I would get a ETM and start tracing the from the power source to all grounds. You cound have a short some where that take the whole bus down including your guages and that not be the problem.

Where are the grounds that are specific to the gauges/bus? ETM?

Electronic trouble shooting Manual. Its a wiring diagram that also has diagnosis flow charts. Source a diagram for your bus that the gauages are on and they always start at the top of the page as power source. You will need the diagram for the specific locations of the grounds.

I had the same problem in my 03 Rubicon and could never solve it. It ran fine, and if the guages ever stopped working, I just hit the trip reset button and everything went back to normal.

Here's more people with the NO BUS and some of their solutions:

http://www.faqs.org/qa/qa-12673.html

Smack the top of the dash or push the whole speedo assembly in. I had a similar problem all my gauges would go out and the airbag light would come on, I didn't get the no bus though. The connection for the gauge cluster is designed very poorly and it looses connectivity pretty easily. I took my dash apart cleaned the connections and tried to make sure everything is tight and put it all back together. It still happens but very rarely and all I need to do is push on it a tiny bit

Smack the top of the dash or push the whole speedo assembly in. I had a similar problem all my gauges would go out and the airbag light would come on, I didn't get the no bus though. The connection for the gauge cluster is designed very poorly and it looses connectivity pretty easily. I took my dash apart cleaned the connections and tried to make sure everything is tight and put it all back together. It still happens but very rarely and all I need to do is push on it a tiny bit

That doesn't work.

Im fighting the same issue. Pulled the cluster, cleaned and bent the terminals, and used dielectric grease. Still no dice.

One thing that makes mine weird... When the dash goes off, I tried smacking the top of the dash, hitting the cluster, cursing at it...everything. The only thing that works, is if I grab the turn signal lever and move it up and down really fast. Almost flick it up and down. Then the dash comes back..everytime. My girlfriends 00 does it too...but her dash will only jump back to life when you flick the high beams on and off real fast.

I just dont get it. Its like chasing ghosts.

J.

Im fighting the same issue. Pulled the cluster, cleaned and bent the terminals, and used dielectric grease. Still no dice.

One thing that makes mine weird... When the dash goes off, I tried smacking the top of the dash, hitting the cluster, cursing at it...everything. The only thing that works, is if I grab the turn signal lever and move it up and down really fast. Almost flick it up and down. Then the dash comes back..everytime. My girlfriends 00 does it too...but her dash will only jump back to life when you flick the high beams on and off real fast.

I just dont get it. Its like chasing ghosts.

J.

When I was trying to solve this on mine, I came across two people that had to replace the clockspring in the steering column to eliminate the NO BUS.

I can't find those posts anywhere now. But if your jiggling the the turn signal stock, then your also jiggling the clockspring.

Last edited:
I'll have to try the turn signal trick. Pushing the trip reset doesn't work, thats for sure.

My 2001 did the same thing several times, a couple of years ago.
The odometer would say 'no bus' and the gauges cut out while the engine kept on running.
I found a couple big plugs under the dash, one with a bolt through it, that were not snuggly plugged together.
After unplugging them, the pins were lightly painted with dielectric grease and then reassembled.
As far, so good.

I've played with that plug since the problem started. I'll try it again and use di grease this time.

Yup. I changed it back to a strap. I put the ground cable on the front of the block and hooked it up to the header panel.

As for the clockspring... Since I purchased the jeep, I bought a cruise control kit from Team Cherokee that included a new clock spring. The guage issue happened both before and after the cruise install.

Im just baffled as to why mine takes a fast movement of the turn signal lever (up and down) and my gf's takes flicking the high beams (forward and backward). Ive gotten angry and really wailed on my dash pad area, gave the gauge cluster face a good smack a few times...nothing does it for me other than the turn signal lever...or shutting the jeep off and starting it back up. That usually helps.

I guess in my last post, I shouldnt have sounded as helpless. I know what a possible solution is but Im too lazy to dig into it right now haha. Im guessing I have to pull the cluster, pull the connectors, and wire in some new ones. Maybe find a dead spot somewhere in there while Im messing around.

Haha...its a jeep thing. Ill never understand.

J.

SUCCESSS!!!!!

So this weekend, I just played under the dash looking to see if there were any bad grounds. I went ahead and took apart that 2 part white connector thats on the left side (10mm bolt holding it together) and put some dielectric grease on it. After that, I disco'd the battery for over an hour to reset everything.

A couple times this week, I drove successfully with no problems with the guages. Well yesterday, on the way to work, even the CEL turned off. I now have no problems with the guages at all:shocked::shocked:

So hopefully, this will help others who run into this problem.

There is another ground right below the distributor where the negative cable for the battery attaches to the block. I replaced my negative cable for the battery because I was getting a buzzing sound through the radio, (turned out to be a plug wire FYI). It took me 2 months finally sent it to the dealer and 30 minutes later and $40 there replaced the broken ground wire. I re soldered it, but it was to thin gauge of a wire for the load it was handling. I hope this helps, I was really frustrated with mine and almost sent it to the junk yard. Are you having trouble shifting at all as well??? That was another thing my 99 was doing along with no speedo or tach. PM me if you need any more info, I might be able to help.

As for the clockspring... Since I purchased the jeep, I bought a cruise control kit from Team Cherokee that included a new clock spring. The guage issue happened both before and after the cruise install.

Im just baffled as to why mine takes a fast movement of the turn signal lever (up and down) and my gf's takes flicking the high beams (forward and backward). Ive gotten angry and really wailed on my dash pad area, gave the gauge cluster face a good smack a few times...nothing does it for me other than the turn signal lever...or shutting the jeep off and starting it back up. That usually helps.

I guess in my last post, I shouldnt have sounded as helpless. I know what a possible solution is but Im too lazy to dig into it right now haha. Im guessing I have to pull the cluster, pull the connectors, and wire in some new ones. Maybe find a dead spot somewhere in there while Im messing around.

Haha...its a jeep thing. Ill never understand.

J.

Ok so my guages quit working all of a sudden last week. I finally got around to working on it and after reading the different posts, i started by checking fuses and then pulling the guage cluster in order to see if the connectors where having an issue or not. I messed with the connectors, with no success, then i added dialectic grease, no success.
Then I completed the actuator test on the guages, no problems, they tested out successfully.
I then became very frusterated and decided to try the rest of the suggestions.....well guess what worked???? "flicking the high beams (forward and backward)." All the guages began working again and no problem yet.
I was as surprised by this as anyone i guess. But why did i second guess you. Thanks for the clues.
The only bad thing is that this points to a short somewhere in the system that i am not looking forward to searching for.

Back