• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fuel Pump life

needsrepair

NAXJA Forum User
I have 95000 miles on my 2000. What kind of lifespan can I expect from the fuel pump? Im making a fuel tank skid and would rather replace it now then take everything off again. I consider some of this overkill. Part of my "insurance policy against breakdowns" I have also learned that JEEP does stand for J ust E mpty E very P ocket Thanks

I'm with you about preventive maintenance, especially on my trips from ny to fl.

I changed out the pump on mine at 116k miles, only because sender crapped out and had the extra coin at the moment to do it all (dropping tank's is a major pita, for me at least).

oem, about $315 w/gasket.

I'm sure they last longer, but I've been told that if you run out of fuel and crank the heck out of, heat build up will shorten life. This happened to me in the dead of a hot August day...

Like I said, just what I heard, but makes sense seein' that there's no fuel surrounding it to cool it off.

I'm sure there are more knowledgable replies out there.

My 98 went out at 107,000. 198,000 on my 89 MJ and still going strong and I can remove the one in the MJ without dropping the tank......go figure.

Over 230,000 on my original pump in my 94.

on my 2nd, 96. went out at 130K

if you got the money, do it. keep the old one for spare.

um yeah get this the pump and filter are part of the same bosch unit so if you have a clogged filter you have to replace the pump anyways even if the pump is good... fuel lubricates the internals of the pump and running on fumes plus a lot of cranking can cause it to burn up... my pump with 92 k is about to go on my 1999... i just put in some bad gas which had it running erally bad and was cranking a lot to get the stp additives and new gas in and finally flushed everything and it is running ok but i might as well get it swapped out because at first there was no gas going to it anyways and would die if even start within a second of running... i have spent the last two hours working on my jeep and was cranking a lot with this problem -what an appropriate post timing

I guess I've had pretty good luck with pumps. My 99 has 156K and so far no problems, though I suspect it might be getting a little tired. My 95 has the original pump at 260K+ and no problems at all. My 87 was still humming along when last seen at 235K. My kids' 93 needed one at something around 195K because it was getting very noisy, though it still worked fine.

My 98 PUMP works fine at around 320,000 miles, sender has not worked since the warranty ran out. I drive by trip odometer, darn TJ does the same thing. Crummy jeep senders....

Back