• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CTS code 22

hotrod22

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my CPS after it got on the exhaust manifold and melted the insulation off the wires. (yeah, I'm gonna repair the wire and keep it for a spare) Anyway... had my bud put his scanner on just to check if it threw a code, it showed a code 22 which said " engine coolant temperature sensor input above maximum acceptable voltage" fault. Now, does this sensor tell the electric fans to come on? The reason I ask is my temp is getting around 210ish which is noticeably higher than usual, and that would explain it. Basicly, I want to know what this sensor does.

After reading some posts I searched for, about the CTS, some people talking about if you unplugged your CTS it would run like crap and overheat? When I unplug mine, it runs fine and the E-fan comes on. I also found one of 5-90's posts saying the CTS in the therm housing tells the E-fan to come on, so.... is the fan supposed to come on if you unplug the CTS? What temp is the E-fan supposed to come on?

ok there are two coollant sensors, one on the rad, and the other near the back of the inakemanifold on the head, thats the one gicing u problems.

the one on the rad runs the fans, and the one on the head goes to the puter.

jeepdude10000 said:
ok there are two coollant sensors, one on the rad, and the other near the back of the inakemanifold on the head, thats the one gicing u problems.

the one on the rad runs the fans, and the one on the head goes to the puter.

There is no cts in the radiator in 95. In the renix the thing in the raditor is just a fan switch.
On a 95 ones in the t-stat housing and one near the back of the head.

The one in the t-stat is for your gage and the one in the head is for the engine.

langer1 said:
There is no cts in the radiator in 95. In the renix the thing in the raditor is just a fan switch.
On a 95 ones in the t-stat housing and one near the back of the head.

The one in the t-stat is for your gage and the one in the head is for the engine.

Sorry, but you have that wrong way around! The computer's CTS is the one in the thermostat housing. The one in the head is for the gauges/idiot lights.

Ok, so here are my questions...
1. the CTS in the therm housing tells the e-fan to turn on?
2. is it normal for the fan to run if you unplug this sensor?
3. is ohming out the sensor the only/best way to test it?

I ohmed the sensor cold and got 8.4 (with my meter set on 200K), then at operating temp, and got .7 ohms. According to my Haynes manual this sounds normal. Anybody agree?

hotrod22 said:
I ohmed the sensor cold and got 8.4 (with my meter set on 200K), then at operating temp, and got .7 ohms. According to my Haynes manual this sounds normal. Anybody agree?

tempohms.jpg

Back